And it begins...JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon LED

rdahlke1105

I'm a girl.
Well the items are starting to come in.

01/03/11 The sand got here.

101_0331.jpg

01/04/11 The Chemi-pure, Purigen and PhosBan got here. Still waiting on the tank to get here. Called the LFS to see if it came in...nope.

101_0332.jpg

What is suppose to be here on Friday:
The media basked from urbaneks and 20 lbs of base rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Hopefully the tank will be here before Friday.

Well I've heard over on nano-reefs that the LED version is VERY bright, so I thought...black sand....not so much glare. I will keep adding as stuff comes in. I will be getting a powerhead to go with this, but probably closer to the end of the cycle.

Well I went home for lunch and got a phone call...my tank is in. Tonya at Aquarium in Old Town, Wichita called before the truck even left. :^: So we will be driving down there (about a 1/2 hour drive) to pick my tank up. :^:

Throw away the bio-balls before you set it up. Then start lookig for a good skimmer for it. I'd suggest the Tunze Nano Skimmer.

I was already planning on tossing the bioballs...heard too many horror stories about them. LOL I'm not going to worry about a skimmer until I actually start putting livestock in it. I've already decided that if/when I get a skimmer, its going to be an Octopus HOB. I've heard great things about Octopus. I also plan on tossing the stupid sponges, not going there. :) I'm actually getting a custom made media basket for this as well. A guy on nano-reefs makes them especially for the Nano Cube and fits perfectly in the spot for it.

Keep the ceramics however. The Tunze will slide right in that middle chamber on that unit. I'm sure the Octopus is a great unit as well. I currently have the JBJ 24 set up in my kitchen.

are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yetz?

are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yet,are we there yetz?

I'm actually on the way home right now. No I'm not driving. My father is. Yes I have the tank. I also noticed they have Tonga branch live rock in stock. That will be this weekend.

I was already planning on tossing the bioballs...heard too many horror stories about them. LOL I'm not going to worry about a skimmer until I actually start putting livestock in it. I've already decided that if/when I get a skimmer, its going to be an Octopus HOB. I've heard great things about Octopus. I also plan on tossing the stupid sponges, not going there. :) I'm actually getting a custom made media basket for this as well. A guy on nano-reefs makes them especially for the Nano Cube and fits perfectly in the spot for it.
I don't believe the new nanos come with bioballs, mine only came with the ceramic rings. If I were you I'd go with the skimmer fastrd suggested, the octopus is a great skimmer but, it won't fit into the back chambers. To use it you'd have to take off the tank lid and put the pump into the main tank. I got that same media basket when I first started up my tank and it's great. The only bad part is that if you get the skimmer you can't use the media basket anymore.

Well its here. :^:

101_0333.jpg

101_0334.jpg

This is where we are going to put it. We are going to be moving the coffee table downstairs.

101_0335.jpg

Yes that is my Italian Greyhound, Dobby. And the urn is my mother who passed away October 15, 2010.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your mother.Why is it still in the box? And I'm talking about the tank and stand of course, you mother looks beautiful just like she is.

LOL Biffer. Its still in the box because I just got home from Wichita picking up the tank. I'm tired so I'm going to be putting the tank and stand together tomorrow. I'll be doing the leak test then as well. I'll also do a lighting test. Saturday I'll probably be going back to Wichita to get the live rock.

This LFS has some really nice regular live rock and super nice Tonga rock. There was this one piece of rock I have my eye on that has really dark red coraline and what looks like a whiteish honeycomb growth on it. I think its either a sponge or coral. It was too small to tell at a glance.

I'm still trying to figure the water thing out as well. The Walmart here has RO/DI water for $.37 a gallon and the machines are serviced every month on the 10th. Petco here has a good price on reef salt so I may go that route for now. I also need to pick up a heater still. I'm going to go the hydrometer route just during the cycle and save up to get a good refractometer.

And lastly, I still need to get test kits. The LFS carries the API and I trust getting them from there over the local Petco. I have a feeling that they are probably newer and the stock rotated more quickly then Petco.

Back