Calling All Wrasse Fans!

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Ok, I'm finalizing the stock list for the FOWLR (possibly softie, but not guaranteed) I'm starting this summer, and I'm thinking I want to add a wrasse of some sort. The current list (not in the tank, obviously, just on paper ATM) includes a Lemonpeel Angel, a pair of Maroon Clowns, an Antennata Lion, and a Fu Manchu Lion. The wrasse needs to be able to fit comfortably in my 50, but not so small that it will get eaten by the lions, aggressive enough to hold its own with the wrest of the aggressives, and colorful.

Reef-safe isn't really an issue. I'm going to try some softies (zoa, mushroom, leather, xenia) in there, and possible a nem, but if the softie frags don't make it, I won't be heartbroken. I'll be fragging the softies off colonies from my other tanks, so if they get eaten, I won't be losing a coral completely. Shrimp-safe isn't an issue either. Since I have the lions, there won't be any shrimp in there to worry about!

Any suggestions?

Good god you and I think alike and have similar taste in fish LOL - I am currently planning my 45g hexagonal set up and my stocking list looks almost identical - lemonpeel angel, maroon clown, six-line wrasse, dottyback. I had a dwarf lion on the list too, but do want a cleaner shrimp so the lion is out. Anyhow, I would recommend a large six-line wrasse - it will be able to hold its own. I think the other reef-safe wrasses will get bullied in your tank. I'm not as familiar with the non-reef safe wrasses, and it seems like a lot of them need larger than a 55.... I'll be interested to see what others say!

ooo two lions would look so lovely, i wanted to get a dwarf fuzzy in the tank with my zebra, but i figured 250ish $ worth of fish was too much too risk at once. Youll have to update me on as to how they get along :)

How about a mystery wrasse, I had one for a while in my reef tank and he was great. They're always active and they definitely won't get bullied around and grow much larger then the six-line (they're in the same family though).

I was hoping you would chime in, Brian. You are the wrasse wrangler, after all!

I do what I can lol.

You could also check out the Red velvet fairy wrasse. They're a fairy wrasse but are usually pretty aggressive with other wrasses so it might be ok with your current stocking list.

Back