Casey and Sarah's brand new tank!

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
GREAT NEWS!

My fiance and I are getting a new tank! My friend's parents are moving and they needed to get rid of it so we are getting a ~100 gal tank with filter and everything for $200! It's going to be a big step up from our 24 gal nano reef but we are excited! Pictures and exact specs coming soon!

Any advice on setting up a big tank and moving our current stock over would be great and any suggestions on new fish to put in would be great as well!

Casey

I would still wait a good 6 months after you get the tank set up in your place before purchasing a nem, especially a carpet nem. They can be very difficult to keep, and when you move a tank you tend to go through a new tank period and the nem will have a much better change of surviving if you wait till after that period.

I totally agree little_fish. I am putting it here in the forum so that people know so they don't suggest anything that would compete with it :-D. I got a LTA within 2 weeks of setting up my nano tank and almost killed it before bringing it back to the LFS. I dont want to put anything through that again! I was thinking doing a Tang tank with some clowns and lots of corral. Maybe a few cleaner shrimp, a urchin or two and a brittle star. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Unless the tank is 6ft long, it wont make a great tang tank, but there are tons of other cool fish! There are a few that will do well in a 5ft tank, so dont totally count them out of your list though!

ya, that would do great in there! The only problem with dwarf angels is that they dont get along with other dwarfs, so they are usually one per tank. The are also 50/50 on being reef safe.

Hey guys! Went and picked up the tank today! It's actually a 90 gal tank! I will get some pics up tomorrow. I am going to need some help identifying everything and learning about how to maintain it! It looks like there is a UV sterilizer, a wet/dry filter and i think the last thing is a protein skimmer. Hope you can all help me!

Hey all! Here are some pictures (finally) of our new tank! She is a beauty! its a 90 gal tank, it came with the stand, hood and tank, a sterilizer and a wet dry and what i am assuming is a skimmer all for just 200 bucks! I have a few pictures and any help on identifying exactly what these pieces are and some articles about how to maintain them would be awesome. No fish yet, just got the water in it tonight. Any ideas on a good reef community? the tank is only 48" long so I'm guessing tangs wont work? I really like tangs lol. Your feedback and help is greatly appreciated!

Casey and Sarah

p.s. does anybody know how to post larger pictures?

Attachments

• photo copy 3.JPG
    photo copy 3.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 363
  • photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 389
  • photo-1 copy.JPG
    photo-1 copy.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 413
  • photo-2 copy.JPG
    photo-2 copy.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 344
  • photo-3 copy.JPG
    photo-3 copy.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 364
Thanks guys! Any idea what that last picture and second to last picture is? The bag i think is the stuff in the bottom of the last picture cylinder thing with the little red thing in it.

Ah Ha! It's a PhosBan Reactor. So basically just a filter? So I should probably get a skimmer yea? Any suggestions?

that equipment is in dire need of some cleaning. use vinegar and an old toothbrush which will that it all off with ease. the last picture is a reactor. you can run phosban media to help eliminate phosphates, or carbon to keep your water clear and odorless, maybe gfo if you have something to hold the media in place.

Hey guys, just looking at the lights that came with my new tank. UV Lighting International T12 V-HO
I have the Actinic White FR40T12 (40w bulb) and the Super Actinic FR40T12 (also a 40w bulb). So currently I have 80w over my tank. Is that going to be enough to keep any coral? If not, what should I upgrade to. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Casey

And another question. This tank is currently up and running but with no fish in it. I am moving into the apartment that we set the tank up in in a week. I got the salinity to 1.021 today and added enough salt to bring it up to 1.024 (same as the nano tank the fish are coming from). I got about 30 galons of tank water from its previous owner that should have been good. I am going to test the parameters tomorrow and I'll post them but I have heard adding BIOZYME might help. How do I make sure the transition is easy for them? It's only 6 blocks away so the actual move should be easy but I'd like to not loose any fish. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Casey

Back