how to control alge in my tank

joshuashih1

Seahorse Owner
I have lots of hair alge growing on my live rock and lots of green alge growing on my acrylic how to I take care of it. Even after I clean the acrylic in just a few days its all back, I do not like this! Help!

What do you have as a clean up crew? I.E. snails, crabs. How long do you run your lights? What fish do you have? Do you use tap or R/O water in your tank?

I keep my lights on 12 hours a day from 8 am to 8 pm and I use ro water not ro/di and I have 4 Nassarius Snails and 1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp otherwise I have nothing that cleans the tank but I am going to get a flame angle witch I know eats alge.

How much do you feed and how often do you feed and what type of food do you use?

What are your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temperature, salinity)?

Last edited:
I would NOT add a flame angel. You have 4 fish? That is more than enough in a 30 gallon brand new tank. You are maxed out.
You need to add some snails. Add a turbo snail, some cerith, some astera (sp) and only keep your lights on for 8 hours. That should all help greatly.

Sounds like you are overfeeding, which could be a contributor to the algae problems. Cut it back to 1/2 a cube every other day. Flame angels are not known algae eaters... You already have a lot of fish in your tank, adding another one just creates more waste which makes more algae.

Water parameters?

Don't count on a Flame Angel to eat algae. At least not enough to help control it.
You need to find the source of the algae's nutrients ( it's life's blood ). Once you've done that,you can get control of the algae naturally instead of just throwing a fish at it.

You have 4 fish in a 30 gallon tank thats been up for 1 month?

Sounds like we figured out where the algae is coming from. I would not add another fish, even if you plan on taking one out. In fact, I'd take one or two out and let the bio filter in your tank get established

Nothing good ever happens in a salt tank.

Algae issues always come down to one thing: nutrient export. You're adding more nutrients than you're taking out

how do I find the sorce of alge

Did you read these posts? We have been trying to find out the source of your algae problems.

What do you have as a clean up crew? I.E. snails, crabs. How long do you run your lights? What fish do you have? Do you use tap or R/O water in your tank?

How much do you feed and how often do you feed and what type of food do you use?

What are your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temperature, salinity)?

Sounds like you are overfeeding, which could be a contributor to the algae problems. Cut it back to 1/2 a cube every other day. Flame angels are not known algae eaters... You already have a lot of fish in your tank, adding another one just creates more waste which makes more algae.

Water parameters?

You still have not said what your water parameters are. That's hugely important in finding the cause of your algae problems.

And your tank is overstocked with too many fish. And you are overfeeding too much food. More fish and more food = more waste = more algae.

We've pretty much narrowed down the source of your algae problems, but having the numbers of your water parameters will help greatly. Test your water and tell us what it's checking out at.

Josh, old buddy, old pal, you're getting some amazing advice here. And for free I might add. And yet, you are ignoring it. It hurts.
Listen:
Your lights are on too long. Cut back to 8 hours a day.
You need more snails.
You have 4 fish in a brand new, small tank. That is too many fish too fast. What specific fish do you have in there? The last thing you should be thinking about is adding a flame angel. Tell us what fish you have and we will let you know which ones may not be a good choice or which would be the best one to return.

And Northstar, I LOVE that you said "Nothing good ever happens in a salt tank." I felt that way for months myself.
I know what you meant though. It was just a funny typo ;)

It seems to me like you would do well to remove two fish from your aquarium right now.

I know you want a lot of fish and you might be able to add another fish in a few months but right now the best thing you can do is reduce the fish load. Your biological filtration is maxed out right now, giving it a break will allow it to establish itself and grow a little more...at which point you MAY be able to add another fish.

I don't understand why you haven't posted your water parameters. Do you have a test kit?
If you can test for phosphates that might tell you something about algae too.

It seems to me like you would do well to remove two fish from your aquarium right now.

I know you want a lot of fish and you might be able to add another fish in a few months but right now the best thing you can do is reduce the fish load. Your biological filtration is maxed out right now, giving it a break will allow it to establish itself and grow a little more...at which point you MAY be able to add another fish.

I don't understand why you haven't posted your water parameters. Do you have a test kit?
If you can test for phosphates that might tell you something about algae too.

He said in another thread that he already added the coral beauty. It would still be a good idea to remove two of those fish. And yes on the water parameters, we really are at a standstill until we know how your water is testing. If you don't know what your water parameters are, you need to buy test kits and inform yourself. There's no other way to figure out if something's out of whack.

Back