ϟ Crystal/James 90g Upgrade ϟ

LoveJC03

Reef Enthusiast
Big tank upgrade! 90 Gallon! It's gonna take some stand refinishing, painting back black & a few bits of plumbing then we'll be transferring everything from our 55 into this one. We'll also be making some more DIY rock again, some tonga branches this time! I think we'll keep this one for a long time before we even think about another upgrade lol

After some thorough cleaning with vinegar, razor blades, scrub brushes, my honey and I made it pretty beautiful! (minus the chunks left on the overflow) :bowdown:
7412clean90g.jpg

Stand - before
7512-frontstand.jpg

Stand - before
7512-backstand.jpg

Canopy - before (it didn't cover the tank trim, but James (my bf) moved the inside braces so now it covers the trim :)
7512frontcanopy.jpg

Canopy - before
7512-backcanopy.jpg

Sorry about the 95° blaring sun in some of these pictures.

Last edited:
Thats just in case she forgets to feed the fish, then they can order pizza ;)

Tank looks great, what are you gonna do with the 55? Make it a sump?

Haha got a bunch of comedians up in here! :D

I don't think we're going to use the 55 as a sump.. might get a 30 or 40 in the future to go under there. We want to have about a foot or so of space for storage.

We got our stand, canopy and back of tank painted black. We got a bigger skimmer and some T5 lights also! We're going to buy a 30g for our sump soon and start planning a day to transfer everything from our 55 :) So excited!

Update: James (bf) reinforced the back of the stand and made us a lifting lid for the canopy. He had to saw the front off then put it back on with hinges. He did the plumbing, a lot less than our 55gal. We rolled everything with satin ebony paint. We bought some new hardware for the doors. It looks WAY better than before! All we need is a bigger sump and we'll be ready to do the transfer! :D

7612fixedbackstand.jpg

7612finishedlid.jpg

71112finishedtank.jpg

71112finishedlights1.jpg

71112finishedlights2.jpg

71112finishedcanopytank.jpg

Don't mind this room.. lol it's our work room! Tank will be in the place of our other one :)

Going to pick up a sump today.. if not today then tomorrow.

List to get before we start:
- bigger pump
- 1 replacement t5 bulb
- more salt
- bulkhead
- silicone
- making more rock, but it'll probably go in later.. takes 4 months or so to cure

Hope to have this up and running soon.. will keep updated for sure! SO excited for this big bad boy! I just hope we don't kill any fish or corals in the swap :o

~ check out our 55g thread in the meantime: https://www.livingreefs.com/crystal-and-james-55gal-w-20gal-upgrade-t39392.html ~

Last edited:
Petsmart sells CaribSea South Seas Base Rock $3.99-$17.99! It's the same rock that Dr Fosters sells.. not sure if it's a better deal, but hey atleast it's 10min away if we want a piece or two. :)

Apparently they just started selling it in stores! We stacked a few pieces together in the store and they look really good. We picked up 1 large rock just to try it out, I think it will look nice if we had alot of it! We got a deal too.. the cashier sold it to us for $12.99! I think it's about 8lbs or so. They're pretty big rocks. We're going to buy more in due time.. we can't really fit too much in the 55, so we'll get more for the 90.

71912caribsearock.jpg

71912caribsearock1.jpg

Last edited:
That kind of looks like the reefsaver rock from Bulk Reef Supply and 8lbs for $12.99 is a great deal! Can't wait to see this tank up and running the stand turned out great!

That kind of looks like the reefsaver rock from Bulk Reef Supply and 8lbs for $12.99 is a great deal! Can't wait to see this tank up and running the stand turned out great!

I thought so too.. and that BRS rock is awesome! We did weigh it today it's about 6lbs.. but still a good deal for good looking rock :) Thanks for the compliment!

More DIY rock! This is just some.. we plan on making more. You can make 100+lbs of this DIY agrocrete for $30 people! It takes about 4 months to cure. Depending on how thick and the recipe you use it could take longer or less time to cure. :D

We really wanted to make some tonga branches this time :)
72112-diyrock.jpg

72112-diyrock1.jpg

72112-diyrock2.jpg

This is our first batch.. it's been curing for about a week. I think it looks like poop.. lol literally!
72112-diyrock4.jpg

Back