Darko's Upgrade 46g Bow Front

OK so I got a sweet deal on this and it's really cool because I get to redo all of the stupid mistakes I made the first time instead of living with my mistakes. Like making sure the stand is exactly what I want. So this brings me to my first :?: question what if anything would you change or do differently? So here is where I am at, I am working on refinishing the stand, I have started on the hood because I am still not sure how the shelves are going to work with the sump. I hate refinishing things!!! I worked on the thing for about 5 hours today uggggg. So the first thing that I did was I used Killz on the inside of the hood I used 2 cans, the lady at the paint store said I should seal it with something so I think I will just hit it with the Krylon touch it with white. I also used Killzs on the inside of the stand well I ran out so I will finish that tomorrow, I am going to Krylon touch that in a light grey so it will stay bright but hide dirt better then white. As for the outside of the stand I have about 1500 coats left to do. But I am doing it to match this coffee table that I got from South Africa so its going to take me a while to get the colors how I want them it will be a range of light brown to black.

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

Now on to the fun stuff. D2Mini thank you I have read your build a few times since I am doing almost the same thing and I have picked up a few pointers. So here is a look at the lack of space I hvae to deal with.

DSCN0231.jpg

I am going to have the sump break down like this right refuge, left skimmer, middle return. Hopefully this will work, that is a 10gallon tank in there right now. Not a lot of room! I can't afford to have something custom made, but that would be nice. So right now I am looking for any options or ideas. I was going to use the Mag 3 for the return pump so it’s not very big. I was thinking about have a HOB skimmer too? Then I could have more room for the refuge. Anyone have anything to say why or why not? It would be out of site and that is my personal driving force for having a sump under the tank.

Today I ordered my RO+DI Unit. pretty stoked about that.
http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=178

Also we took down our big planted tank and I swipped the digital PH Meter its this one Milwaukee Instruments pH Monitor/Controller, SMS122 but I am having a problem. It will not turn on? It had been working fine anyone ever have this problem?

Looks like you got a heck of a project going.It'll be awesome when its wet.
I dont see anything wrong wit running a HOB skimmer,except I'd run it off the side of the sump.

[FONT=&quot]Ok...good progress today. I put the fist coat of varnish on today!!! Tomorrow I will start plumbing. I should get the sump/refuge back tomorrow, my friend is a glass artist and she is cutting the baffles for me and she is going to polish the edges so I don't cut myself. I upped it to a 20g long I will have to take the support out of the back but I checked it out and its 4 screws so that is easy! (yes I will put it back when I am done) I am pretty stoked :)

I still have not got the fitting for the RO+DI unit, I am not permanently installing it (I rent) so I finally got my skink apart so I am picking up the fitting this afternoon. Just an FYI I went to Home Depot to get the fitting and they didn't have anything that would come close to what I need!! UGGG But it's ok there is a place called Fittings INC in town and I called them and they said they should have something that works!

For plumbing I am using PVC pipe is there a glue I should use??? or not use??? [/FONT]

Darko, this looks and sounds like a great project! Glad you went with a 20g sump and got your glass drilled. Wish I knew to do that...
Congrats on the find and have fun with your build!

Thanks everyone! I am getting pretty excited, I am going to put water in it this week!!! I hope, my grandma has surgery Wednesday morning nothing major but I will be taking care of her for a little bit so may be pushed to the weekend!! But I am getting really close!!

Test run of water!!! Everything went well, almost flooded my moms house opps the pump is a lot faster then my overflow, but we got it figured ou, I am trying to get Heather to go get it tomorrow after work but I think she is going to win and we will do it Friday. woot woot!! :bounce::bounce:
DSCN0275.jpg

DSCN0277.jpg

DSCN0278.jpg

DSCN0285.jpg

DSCN0289.jpg

UGGGGG so I only got to start working on my tank at about 7pm today, yesterday we discovered Olivia brought home head lice from daycare!!! UGGGGGG so Heather and I spent all day doing laundry, cleaning, spraying....I think we did over 25 loads! But I am getting happier now that I get to play fish tank:D

I don't know things are going a lot slower then I thought!! But I know slow slow is better in the end but wow it took like 45 mins just to put the power strips in and put the put the skimmer in...ok ok I KNOW my skimmer sucks its the Seaclone it came with but when I sell some of the equipment from my old tank I am getting the good one I already used that foot print when setting things up for it.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Prote...Octopus-Needlewheel-Skimmer/product_info.html

I am waiting from my drill to charge I will post some pics in a little bit :Cheers:

Back