DIY Screen Tank Top

Reefrookie

Not so new anymore!
I mentioned on another thread that I was building screen tops for my tank. I thought I would post this if any one else might be interested in doing this. It's really not that hard and a relatively small investment to protect your jumpers. I think it came out OK and will do the job for me

First pic is one of the completed tops. I have a 125 so I built two tops.

Second pic is tops installed. I left the depth of the tops short to accommodate the overflow, returns, and electric cords.

Third pic is with a thin strip of egg crate to close up the remaining space over the tank.

Forth pic is the finished product!

Attachments

• HPIM0213.jpg
    HPIM0213.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,089
  • HPIM0199.jpg
    HPIM0199.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 769
  • HPIM0201.jpg
    HPIM0201.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 716
  • HPIM0202.jpg
    HPIM0202.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,177
Got everything I needed at Lowes, except the screen. I got that from a fellow reefer on AquaBid. I have about $40 invested, but that's worth it to me if it saves one fish from surfing!

I owuld be afraid that the metal would rust. If it is aluminum, I believe that it can be toxic for inverts. I am basing that from some aluminium based phos remover that said not use it in a reef tank. So if I am wrong, let me know

I don't know. It is painted aluminium track and the corner pieces are moulded plastic. the mesh is plastic and the screen spline is rubber. There is no bare aluminium showing anywhere in the pieces. I will keep an eye on it though, Thanks for the info.

I think it blocks very little if any light. It's a huge difference from my glass tops and the egg crate tops I made in the past.

Back