Dro and Mermer's first 29 gallon reef"

Droskie20

where's nemo?
just starting this thread so you guys can see my progress on my tank (and critique/ help me....

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 979
re: Dro and Mermer's first 29 gallon reef"

i plan on getting 2 after my cycle, does having a powerhead help my cycle period? if so ill go get one sooner then later...(lights are in the mail should be here soon)

It won't help your cycle, but it will help keep your water cleaner. Without one, you'll probably see a film forming on the surface pretty soon. If you plan to get one in the future, no big deal -- it can go without for now.

just got my powerheads :) lights come in next week

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,643

lights came in :)))

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 590

Glad to see such excitement from a new tank! :)

Reminds me of when I set up 2 years ago... Oh how little I knew then.... Lets just say I had shop lights hanging over my tank for a bit until I too bought a 4 bulb fixture from aquatraders =P That light is doing great and helping to grow SPS with my ATI bulbs ;)

Thanks guys I'm really looking forward to the end of my cycle (about 2 weeks left) my rock is really tanking off and turning purple from the coralline Algee

don't know if its a problem but I've got a 4 bulb t5 fixture on the top of my tank, now I've got the problem to where as water splashes on the acrylic protector and it becomes dry because of the heat from the lights leaving salt all over the acrylic protector, should I remove the protector and dip it in the water to return the salt or just wash it off regularly (salinity would go down slowly?)

I would just wipe it off with a towel dipped in a water/white vinegar mix (makes the salt come off a little easier). You shouldnt be getting a ton of splashing on the light guard, I wouldnt worry about its effects of lowering the salinity

I would try to minimize the splashing.
You should have to clean it off once in a while but not that often.
The more salt that shield collects, it blocks a significant amount of light from reaching your corals. So I would minimize the splashing best you can :)

there's nothing I can really do, the return flow of my filter causes bubbles and when those bubbles hit the surface they go pop lol causing splashes every other second

ammonia Is at 0 nitrite is at next to 0 and nitrate is at 20 what does this mean? (API test)

yes!!!! Best news ever! Lol when can I start to add corals and fish? As soon as the water change?

Back