HorseShoe Crab

Aqua_man

The Fish Guy
Hey guys I bought a HorseShoe Crab week ago and just want to make sure becuase guy at the store told me they eat w/e junk is in the sand so I really havent fed it for week. I just want to make sure if I have to feed it or not lol

And thats why I believe they should be left in the ocean. They dont live their full life when kept in our tanks.

Just make sure that when you feed the fish, that spare food gets to the bottom so that the crab has a chance getting some food.

ok thanks didnt know they get that big wow but think its fine cause I dont have a skimmer so theres junk in sand

Should be left in the ocean IMO - and I'd suggest finding a new LFS

Next thing you know they'll tell you a hippo tang will be fine in a 30 gallon

It will starve to death very quickly in your system. Take it back to the store. You don't want to purposely kill animals, do you?

Chances are that it won't live long at the pet store. Have you tried feeding a little piece of shrimp or something?

"Although it may find some food scavenging, its diet should be supplemented with meaty items such as pieces of squid and shrimp."

I think you guys are giving up to quickly.

The problem Alex with horseshoe crabs is their size, they can grow super quickly and a 30gl tank won't be able to suffice the food that it'll need to last too long. Make sure you start feeding him things like shrimp or even some meaty fish and then either find a new LFS that is actually knowledgeable about their critters and take the horseshoe back to them OR find someone with a large enough tank to properly maintain them....

Totally something that should be left in the ocean, HS crabs are cool creatures, but don't work in our systems... I don't understand why they still sell them in the hobby. :(

Mainly because their dietary needs can't be met in any tank... they can wipe out any and all of their food sorces super quickly... if they DO manage to stay alive in a larger aquarium you will have an instant tank bulldozer.. they will turn over everything without trying...

Most horseshoe crabs of the 4 species all reside in cooler water temps-not equal to the norm of our tropical reefs.... the temp alone can alter the behavior and change the lifespan of the crabs... in fact, 2/4 of the species are protected by law currently to prevent people from over harvesting them or bringing them into the hobby (they are also used to catch eels for the sushi trade). These guys aren't even really a true crab... they (like hermit crabs) are related to spiders, ticks, and all those creepy aracnids.

another fun fact-horseshoe crabs blood has copper in it naturally. They have hemocyanin instead of hemoglobin and if bit/cut open the blood can release the copper compound into your tank-taking out your inverts.... really thats the only complain I have with the horseshoe crabs info in the database, these guys won't be affected by copper because its a trace element in their bloodstream.... its ranges from about 50 to 70% a liter in their blood.

at the aquarium we try to not keep these guys at all because of how delicate they are- Even though we are a great functioning aquarium there are some things we believe are just better off left in the wild. These guys just aren't made for our home aquariums, they are not easy to take care of no matter what anyone says! lol.

Last edited:
Yep, that is why they have blue instead of red blood.

But, the reason why he should return it to the store is to keep them from buying more. If people dont buy them, then they will stop selling them.

no probs Smitty :) Most don't... i actually learned that from one of our top aquarists... he's always finding out all these weird things about critters! lol. one day he'll be tossing a few sponges in a blender and watching them crawl/scoot/move back to their original colony or doing some sorta blood testing on animals, OR trying to cross breed jellies.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jellykeeper101

Everything But The Tank: An Aquarium and Marine Life Blog: A Day In The Life Of: A Jellyfish Keeper

How to Keep Jellyfish in Aquariums -- Chad L. Widmer: Wheatmark Bookstore

I've taken many classes with Chad and have been thankful enough to do a few job shadows with him-he is a WEALTH of information and a great teacher :) in fact, he's probably one of the best i've learned from, he makes everything super fun and very hands on, pretty much anytime I have a problem or question with something more exotic I give him a call :) Between him and Manny (our resident shark expert) anything that you can learn-you will learn :) I'm actually getting ready to take another summer corse with Chad just for kicks :)

Last edited:
The bizarre thing about the Horseshoe carb is that their blood is copper based as opposed to human blood (hemoglobin) which is iron based.

Back