id on coral

swninja

Reefing newb
so just to prove to biff that her rocks still alive.... and for some help with some stuff i got today

first id?
2009_06200043.jpg

id #2
2009_06200047.jpg

and this one came on a piece of rock that i got from biff , some kind of sponge?
2009_06200046.jpg

cool cool, i figured that was ricordia based on pics i'd found. the first one is the one i'm really wondering about

+1 Sniffles.
I sure hope you didnt pay money for that coral in the first pic.
If somebody sold that to you,they need to be shot cause its dead as a door nail.

ok, so here's the question. what kind of dead coral is it. they had two others in there, one blue and one green. they looked exactly like this one. ..... wow, i'm about at a whole new level of irritated right now. i happen to know that the owner of the shop, who i talked to today isn't there on sundays. so i think i'm gonna go undercover and see what i can find out from the little part timer that works tommorrow

The first one looks like a dead brain coral skeleton. Is it really all white, or is your camera playing tricks on us? White = dead. Is there any flesh on it? (Touch it. If it's all hard skeleton, it's not alive. If there's squishy flesh, it's still alive, but almost dead).

The second is ricordea florida. My favorite coral! And the third is a common purple sponge. One of the most common hitch hikers on live rock. They grow better in shaded areas. You'll probably see different colored sponges popping up in overhangs and caves. I've got 4 or 5 different colors in my tank.

So I gotta ask. Where did you buy that dead coral from? And how much did you pay for it? By "little part timer" are you talking about youngish blond chick? If the answer is yes, I think I know where you got it from :(

nope, but blonde was working at that place today. i stopped there and didn't buy anything. then i cruised a little further up the road.

anyway

i did feel it and it is fleshy. as a matter of fact i just spent the last hour + on google images trying to find it. i've found the same picture twice. unfortunatly both pics are talking about a crown of thorns starfish and not the coral that it's sitting on. but the picture shows a huge head of both white and green. i think i'm calling it quits until i do my little recon mission tommorrow.

smartass:grumble:

i got it from oasis. and although i'm extremely irritated that this happened, it's my own damn fault for impulse buying and not knowing anything. :frustrat:

so i went up there today to do some recon, and the owner was there again. so i ask him what that was that i bought...(playing dumb thistime, not actually dumb like last time) and he told me ricordia. (nice try) so i tell him no, the otherone. he tells me lobophyllia. i say ," i see, cause i tried to google it by description last night and couldn't find anything like it"

here's the great thing. He proceeds to show me 3 or 4 more.

DO NOT SHOP AT OASIS

if i go in there again, it may be to go postal :helm2:

Oh wow! You got it from Oasis! Heh. Serves you right ;)

I do recall me warning you about that? Hmmm do you remember that? No? How strange. Because I do :p Southwest Saltwater is the only store in Tucson that I will shop at, and it's the only one that I will recommend to anyone else.

But seriously, I'm sorry that happened to you. Hector is known around these parts as somewhat of a scam artist. I went in there once, playing dumb, and he tried to sell me all this equipment that I absolutely had to have or else my whole system was gonna crash, blah blah blah. He also tried to tell me that the blastos he was selling for a freakin fortune were a "new species" and "super extremely rare", after I asked why they were so damn expensive. So he said they were a new species. And I was like, "Oh really? I only know of two species of blastos. And those look exactly like merlettis." Then he went on and on about how they were not "mereltees" (he was pronouncing it wrong the whole time which was annoying the hell out of me) and that these were a brand new species.

Whatever. They're called "merlettis". And you can find them anywhere.

Last edited:
I too have had bad experiences there. Too numerous to go into. I quit going there since before he moved. I agree he's a scammer!

However if he sold it to you in that condition then I would take it back and demand a refund. Threats will do a lot sometimes. Tell him your going to go to the BBB or even file a small claims suit against him.

yes biff, you warned me.... however comma, i am kinda hard headed. i'm the same kid who touched the stove when i was little just to see if it was really hot:?: ....it was.

but i did learn my lesson

and when i was in there sunday there was a customer. he was looking into a big ol styrofoam cooler full of bags. so i glance in there and asked if he got a new shipment. he's all smiles and says nope, there for the customer. so i proceed to ask both of them how they're gonna drop at least 5 fish that i saw and around 10-15 corals into a tank all on the same day. he says "oh its ok, hes got a 180". and then proceeds to bag another fish. i just turned around and walked out. f that place.

i dont even want a refund. i'll get my satisfaction just ruining his business

Thats cuz if you go there once and buy a dead coral you aint gonna go back.
It is a wonder how some of these LFS can stay in business.

Brian

No Brian, It's because you never have to replace the corals you get from him. They continue on like they are almost forever. Low maintenance too. No feeding or supplements need! :mrgreen:

Back