I've tried peroxide

Smitty

Reef pro
Hey everybody, just wanted to share my experience with you all about my peroxide experiment to rid my tank of bryopsis. *Disclaimer* "noobies should not try this at home" :)
As you all may remember, I posted a pic of an unknown algae a while back and have been trying to manually remove it. I know my water was perfect, and all corals(especially my 9 sps's) are growing like crazy. At least every 2-3 days, I would manually remove a lot of the algae, just to watch it grow back with a vengeance, and grow somewhere else too. It even started growing in between my corals, that's when I got fed up. I've been doing about a month of research on hydrogen peroxide, and it's uses in aquariums, and figured I'd try it (our tanks aren't nothing but a big science project anyway). My first attempt was on a small leather coral that had the algae on it, since I didn't care for it really, I would be bad if it died. I prepared a mixture of 50/50 solution of tank water and h202 in a small container and dipped the coral for about 2-3 minutes. The algae bubbled and fizzled during that time, and when u placed the coral back in the tank, the algae look withered and weak. Over the next two days, I noticed it fade away to nothing, and no harm to the coral. Eureka! I then tried it on my zoas, success also. I've mustered up the guts to try my smaller acan colony, and dipped him too, he didn't even close up while in the solution, and now all the algae is home off of him too. This stuff is really working. During the next week, I did my usual 10% water change, and while the water was low, I put some h202(full strength this time, no dulluting) in a spray bottle, and sprayed the algae around the sps's directly, and let it sit for 3 mins before refilling the tank. All the algae turned white over the next few days, and is now completely gone. Tested all my parameters, nothing changed, still perfect water levels. Now yesterday, during my weekly water change, I got real bold, and drained my tank all the way down to the sand, and sprayed all the algae that was on my lower, bigger rocks. The corals were a lil pissed, but it was for their own good. I left the tank completely drained for 3 mins, and refilled it. I woke up this morning to check on the tank, and the corals look great and completely unaffected. The algae is dying, my levels are still perfect, and life is good. I have not lost any corals, inverts, nor fish in the process. :)

congratulations I am glad to hear you are winning the battle.. I have read alot about peroxide in the tank but have yet to try it myself.. Glad to know it really does work..

No problem Erin... :) I know we as hobbyist are skeptical towards different and unusual practices, so I figured I'd try it on behalf of all hobbyist on livingreefs.

I remember a guy posted about this a while ago. But he claimed you didn't need to do water changes to maintain good water. I told him that it was just covering up the problem if you didn't remove the dead algae. BTW, yes he did do this in his main tank.

I remember a guy posted about this a while ago. But he claimed you didn't need to do water changes to maintain good water. I told him that it was just covering up the problem if you didn't remove the dead algae. BTW, yes he did do this in his main tank.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend doing this in a tank with bad husbandry practices, cause you'll never fix the problem. I had bryopsis that came on a frag I got from aquatica, and the cleaner my water was, the faster it seemed to grow. I also did this in my main tank, but I initially pulled the corals out and treated them. Once I got comfortable, I drained the tank completely and sprayed all the remaining algae. I thought the dying algae would release the phosphates and nitrates back into the tank, but it didn't. I double checked my results with aquatica's , and both of them register at zero.

Good to know, but definitely heed the disclaimer, when concentrated and not used properly, peroxide can cause its own problems

Glad it worked for you Smitty!

Thanks Northstar...yeah, I definitely don't recommend this procedure to many people...especially because of the risks. Just like kalk dosing.

Ok I know you said 50/50 for the mix but scoop wise what did it brake down to per gallon? I'd like to try this out on a control tank that has an algae prob but levels are are in the green.

Ok I know you said 50/50 for the mix but scoop wise what did it brake down to per gallon? I'd like to try this out on a control tank that has an algae prob but levels are are in the green.

I know I've read that you can safely use 1mL per 10 gallons...and that was the solution people were using while dosing their entire system. So if I were to dose my entire tank, I would've used roughly 3.5 mL. I hope that answers your question. :)

I know I've read that you can safely use 1mL per 10 gallons...and that was the solution people were using while dosing their entire system. So if I were to dose my entire tank, I would've used roughly 3.5 mL. I hope that answers your question. :)

It does thank you Smitty. But one more question? Was it the dry powder or the wet peroxide you get in the brown plastic bottles you use on surface cuts? I want to make sure I do this right if I try it on the control tank.

Back