Lighting.

blando

Reefing newb
Hey guys just wondering what your Ideas might be.. I have a sea anemone and coral in my tank and fish of course what would be good bulbs for it to help the coral and anemone? It has two bulbs in it where has a bright bulb and also fluorescent bulb which i like but i think the anemone doesnt just like the fluorescent. ANy ideas? I was thinking on just changing the bright bulb to somthing maybe better or nicer until i get my new Light fixture in the mail but its in back order.

You should have really got the proper lighting before you got the corals and anemone. Two bulbs is not nearly enough light for the anemone -- they require higher lighting than most corals. You will need a new light fixture -- changing the bulbs won't make a difference. It will change the color, but not the amount of light put out, which is what the anemone needs more of.

+1 Biff. You really should research anything you put in aquarium first before buying. That way you might not have made this mistake.
So I would try and find the nem a new home, or else you might be asking for trouble.. A nem dying in a saltwater tank can nuke everything in it.

well when i go the fixture they said be fine for coral and stuff just need to update the bulbs..the thing is still new really only had my tank for i dunno couple months... im getting new light fixture coupe months that is better and its LED but thought for now i could maybe change bulbs to help.

Yeah, you got bad info. Changing the bulbs won't help. It's still the same amount of light being put out. There are differences in the quality of bulb from brand to brand, but with only two bulbs, those differences are not going to be enough to keep an anemone. You will not have enough light with your current fixture no matter what you do with the bulbs.

This the specs on the light
Make: Solarmax H.O.
Input Power: 120V-60HZ
OutPut Pwr: 48w (24Wx2)
Lamp Type: T5, G14 24W

Bulbs:
Got LED strip when u turn both bulbs off
Bulbs 1: 24w-Actinic-02 (fluorescent bulb)
Bulb 2: 24w Daylight 10kk (bright bulb)

For T5s, a good rule of thumb is at least 4 watts per gallon of tank size to keep moderate light corals. Many anemones need even more light than that. (Note that the watts per gallon "rule" doesn't hold true when you are talking about different types of lighting or non-standard sized tanks). With 48 watts over a 20 gallon tank, you are at about 2 watts per gallon. That's very low. And switching the bulbs out won't change that.

I am getting new light fixture anyways so hopefullyyyy this will be good for them but thing is wont get it until like july because ill be gone for 2 months for my job.

I would definitely find the anemone a new home. If it dies while you are gone, it can kill everything else in your tank. And several months without sufficient lighting is not good for an animal.

Back