Marineland Stealth Pro Heater RECALL!!

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
I got this email and just returned my heater today for a full refund. Just wanted to let others know in case they had the same one.

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Damn I just noticed I put "21" LOL I have '2', not '21' ;)

I'll probably try to exchange at petsmart, and if they don't have titanium or anything close, i'll take when they give me, then order a better one. I'm looking at either a jager or via aqua. So much hassle. :shock:

I've heard a good number of horror stories about these heaters, mostly sticking in the on position and frying tanks. Glad to hear Marineland is stepping up and doing something about it. Hopefully they can re-design these and come out with something comparable!

I always use a controller in conjunction with any heater set up. Double protection!!

I wonder if you had to buy them at Petsmart to return them there, anyone know?

I bought mine at petsmart but I think marineland is paying petsmart for the returns they gave me cash which I pocketed.

I went to the all glass one and its been fantastic for me so far my temp says within 2-3 degrees at all times the stupid stealth one would go way high then way cold it was awful. I ended up putting it in the fresh water tank I have and turned it way down because they dont care as much.

I just called Petsmart, and they said you need to bring in the recall email and the heaters of course.

I just contacted marineland, and they responded that I just need to mail them my invoice for the refund. If I wanted an exchange, I'd have to mail back the heaters and wait for them to send me 2 glass heaters of equivalent wattage, which defeats the purpose since I can't go without a heater in winter.

Petsmart has crap heaters. So I'll probably just buy my heaters online, and send off my invoice to marineland for a refund. Joy.

Now I have to research some brands heheheh.

Damn I just noticed I put "21" LOL I have '2', not '21' ;)

I'll probably try to exchange at petsmart, and if they don't have titanium or anything close, i'll take when they give me, then order a better one. I'm looking at either a jager or via aqua. So much hassle. :shock:

Hahaha i was like :shock: How many tanks do you have??? :razz:

Drs. F&S are going to replace my Stealth Pros with Fluval M Submersible Heaters. The Fluval M's are glass, and I heard that they aren't fully submersible...? Is this true? Have you all owned any Fluval M's or had/heard of issues with them? Thanks.

Yea, i have a Fluval Elite heater, cant put it lower than the top of the glass, they are good, never broke down on me. Well, until i left it out of the water with it still on, then put it back in the tank. Followed by a large crack and bubbling. :frustrat:

Crap and a half I don't even remember where I got my Stealth from. Can I send an e-mail to Marineland to get an e-mail from them that we can take into PetSmart?

Also does anyone know why they are being recalled? I've read somewhere that the temp it is set to can be up to 4 degrees off, well I don't care about that, verify the temp using a thermometer but if the thing may go into "cook the fish mode" or worse "zap the fish mode" then I'm pulling the damn thing out tonight when I get home.

Last edited:
Crap and a half I don't even remember where I got my Stealth from. Can I send an e-mail to Marineland to get an e-mail from them that we can take into PetSmart?

Also does anyone know why they are being recalled? I've read somewhere that the temp it is set to can be up to 4 degrees off, well I don't care about that, verify the temp using a thermometer but if the thing may go into "cook the fish mode" or worse "zap the fish mode" then I'm pulling the damn thing out tonight when I get home.

I can't help you with your first question. But, regarding why they are being recalled, supposedly they were unreliable in keeping temp, some of them got stuck in "heat" mode and were frying tanks, some were releasing electricity into the tank killing livestock, and some exploded inside the aquarium (with some actually cracking the aquarium glass itself).

Back