My anti "IRS" 300 gallon build

sps

Reefing newb
Hi everyone. Well here is my build of the 300 gallon "the IRS wont take my baby away" build thread. I had planned on running 7 AI led fixtures but the wonderful rapists at the IRS felt they needed my hard earned money more than I did. So... some parts of the tank build had to suffer but that didnt stop me from finishing it. That means I am running 3 250 watt halide radiums and hydor koralia power heads with a red sea wave maker instead of the 2 MP 60's.
And once again, I would like to say this has got to be my favorite reef forum. You guys are great.
300 gallon DT 96" x 30" x24"
2- 15" x 7" overflows
2- diy 2" Durso pipes
walnut 16" x 96" canopy
upper cage on top of canopy built to hold any lighting configuration I can dream up
walnut 38" x 96" stand
all trimmed with walnut base, corner and crown molding

Coralife Elite 6' fixture, 2 large fans
3- 250 watt radium metal halides 7 inches above water line
2- Lumatek 250 watt dimmable ballasts
1- Galaxy 250 watt ballast
2- 96 watt pc actinics
4' led night light strip
4- 1" returns
240 pounds of live rock
305 pounds of carib sea sand
Dolphin Diamond series ampmaster pump with type 3 abrasive marine seals, 4750 gph 1/15 horsepower
1.5" clear check valve w/ double union
2- hydor koralia magnum 8's
1- hydor koralia magnum 7
1- hydor koralia magnum 6
1- Red Sea Wavemaker Pro
Vertex in-250 skimmer
Bubble Magus bm200p skimmer
1- 20 amp outlet gfci
1- 15 amp outlet gfci
2- timed Coralife power strips
2- Belkin surge protectors

110 gallon refugium
80 pounds of Carib sea
40 pounds of ecosystems Miracle Mud as base for mangrove
water level set at 14" high
4' JBJ fixture w/ 2-10000k & 2-460nm actinic pc's
3' JBJ fixture w/ 4- 10000k pc's
Vorterch in-250 skimmer
Bubble Magus bm200p skimmer
2- Eheim Jager 300 watt heaters
1.5" return plumbing
2" overflow plumbing- dual dumps to 2- 2" spa flexlines
2- 6" soft flexring socks
50" x 20" refugium grow area
return area- 20" x 12" dual 2" intakes

Now onto the pics. Not in specific order of build unfortunately. I had some issues during the build so some things have changed.

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

Last edited:
Not to worry little_fish, the rock is set firmly on the bottom glass and the sand is surrounding the rock. I know the troubles that wrasses can do to rock, so I thought ahead. I appreciate the concern though. Something that should be taken into serious consideration.

Thank you Piratefish and OhNoNemo. I am probably going to avoid triggers and angels this time around. I am going with the most peaceful community possible. My previous 250 gallon was a major headache with having to stand by with the net in case a fight broke out. I will have to protect my massive investment of coral on this tank. everyone will have to get along and better ignore the coral or else.:grumble:

Not to worry little_fish, the rock is set firmly on the bottom glass and the sand is surrounding the rock. I know the troubles that wrasses can do to rock, so I thought ahead. I appreciate the concern though. Something that should be taken into serious consideration.

Thank you Piratefish and OhNoNemo. I am probably going to avoid triggers and angels this time around. I am going with the most peaceful community possible. My previous 250 gallon was a major headache with having to stand by with the net in case a fight broke out. I will have to protect my massive investment of coral on this tank. everyone will have to get along and better ignore the coral or else.:grumble:
:lol: nice....i know what you mean,,,but those fish are just so pretty to look at,,,,i have to have em

Thank you. I know what you mean about the beauty. The trigger is by far my favorite fish on the reef.

Awesome looking build SPS. I might have to make a stop over in Glendora next time I head out to Long Beach, just to check this out in person.

Looks great.

Just a quick question though. Do you have easy access to the side of the stand that your pump and other equipment is located? It appears to me that it might be very difficult to change some stuff out if it goes bad. But obviously it is difficult to tell in pictures.

Back