My chromises frickin disappeared!

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So, like I mentioned my build thread, I got three chromises last Friday. They were fine that evening and alright the next day, except that one was hiding more than the others. But Yesterday they went MISSING. I searched EVERYWHERE. People on my build thread told me not to worry, but I can't help but doing so, for today, there is still NO trace of them.

Has anyone ever heard of three fish COMPLETELY disappearing all at the same time???

As someone who has "gone" thru 2 schools of 3 chromis this sounds feasible to me. Sorry Sir Alex. I've given up on trying to keep a school of these myself. I found that they drop like flies. Just my experience.

The last batch I had, it was very similar to what you are describing, seemed ok a few days, then one started hiding, then, bam. All 3 dead. I think I found 1 body, I'd have to look back thru my build thread.

Im sorry to hear that alex, I would go in and ask the LFS how the other chromis are doing. When I hear of them dropping dead like that it makes me wonder if they were collected with cyanide.

wounder if you have some kind of hiden predator in your tank if your not finding any trace of the just a suggestion a friend of mine ended up with a mantis shrimp in his tank the only reason he knew he had it was a small shoal of fish dissapeared and at night heard clicking from the tank it some how got brought into the tank via living rock ??????? dont think its impossible !!!

wounder if you have some kind of hiden predator in your tank if your not finding any trace of the just a suggestion a friend of mine ended up with a mantis shrimp in his tank the only reason he knew he had it was a small shoal of fish dissapeared and at night heard clicking from the tank it some how got brought into the tank via living rock ??????? dont think its impossible !!!

I had considered that but since the only live rock I used was 3 small rocks from my other tank, so it's unlikely anything larger than a pod that hitched over to this tank.

well that rules that out ...... i had a shoal of 6 chromis about 8 months since and for the first 2 months everything fine and one by one they dissapeared and i even took to sitting for hours watching the tank to see if any thing was bullying them but still to this day dont know what happened and even have other small fish in with them and they are still alive so would love more but i aint going to risk it....... what other fish do you have in the tank ????? (is some thing killing them over territory)???

well that rules that out ...... i had a shoal of 6 chromis about 8 months since and for the first 2 months everything fine and one by one they dissapeared and i even took to sitting for hours watching the tank to see if any thing was bullying them but still to this day dont know what happened and even have other small fish in with them and they are still alive so would love more but i aint going to risk it....... what other fish do you have in the tank ????? (is some thing killing them over territory)???

I have and ORA watchman goby, two ocellaris clownfish, and a lawnmower blenny. I've never seen any aggression from any of them except the goby, which sometimes get mean during feeding time...

And isn't death by bullying somewhat long-term? Not overnight?

It is not uncommon for schools of fish like Chromis kept in our tanks to eliminate each other until only one remains...(you know, the Highlander fish). My school of chromis did the same thing

Back