My First Marine Tank

Sashimi

Reefing newb
I spent the past 3 years converting my freshwater tank into a salt water tank. I made a stand and canopy to provide easy access to equipment and lights. In a few hours, I should have enough RO/DI water to finish filling the tank and turn on the equipment. Enough chit chat, how about some pictures? A montage of the past 3 years, so-to-speak.

I spent the past 3 years converting my freshwater tank into a salt water tank. I made a stand and canopy to provide easy access to equipment and lights. In a few hours, I should have enough RO/DI water to finish filling the tank and turn on the equipment. Enough chit chat, how about some pictures? A montage of the past 3 years, so-to-speak.

welcome aboard!!!!! The easy way to upload a pic is to first upload it to Photobucket then copy the IMG code and then paste the IMG code on you post and just like that we get to see your tank!! :Cheers:

This is the original stand and canopy. The doors on the front provided limited access to the equipment underneath. It was difficult to get the canister filter in and out for maintenance, or to find supplies. The Canopy provided access by lifting the lid and only half of it could be lifted due to a hinge in the center of the lid, instead of the rear. I could install a retrofit in this canopy either. These factors lead me to the decision to build my own stand and canopy.

Attachments

• Original Stand Canopy.jpg
    Original Stand Canopy.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 532
Here are some pics of the stand. Frame was made out of 2x4, skinned in 1/4" plywood and then trimmed to look nice. The design involves 3 removable doors to provide access to equipment from all sides. The doors sit in a U shaped channel with the top being 3/4" deep and the bottom being 1/4" deep. To remove a door, you simply lift the door up into the top channel, freeing the bottom, pull the door towards you slightly and then lower door and move out of the way. I designed it this way to prevent my my daughter, who easily breaks through child proof locks, from playing in the salt water in the sump. It's worked for 2 years so far.

Attachments

• Stand 1.jpg
    Stand 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 391
  • Stand 2.jpg
    Stand 2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 434
  • Stand 3.jpg
    Stand 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 360
  • Stand 5.jpg
    Stand 5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 396
  • Stand 7.jpg
    Stand 7.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 532
The Canopy was designed to also have a removable door, as well as a removable lid. The removable lid allows me to clean lights, reflectors, ect without knocking debris into the tank and reduces the risk of a cleaning agent getting into the water.

Attachments

• canopy 7.jpg
    canopy 7.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 390
  • canopy 6.jpg
    canopy 6.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 383
  • Canopy 3.jpg
    Canopy 3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 374
  • Canopy 2.jpg
    Canopy 2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 366
  • Canopy 1.jpg
    Canopy 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Canopy 4.jpg
    Canopy 4.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 416
  • Canopy 5.jpg
    Canopy 5.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Canopy 8.jpg
    Canopy 8.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 458
After the stand and canopy were skinned with plywood and trim applied, it was time to seal it. I wanted to stain it a very dark espresso while still being able to see the wood grain. I tried a few stains, but it never got dark enough. When applied thinker, or left to sit, the stain would run and it looked awful. I eventually gave up, sanded it down and painted it black. The stain came out great on the doors, and I like it even more painted now. The handles on the doors were stained to help them blend in and the art work I found at a shop on Okinawa, Japan and I used double sided super sticky to mount it to the door.

Attachments

• Canopy Stain 1.jpg
    Canopy Stain 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Stand Stain 1.jpg
    Stand Stain 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Stand Canopy.jpg
    Stand Canopy.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 452
  • Stand Canopy 2.jpg
    Stand Canopy 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 325
  • Stand Canopy 3.jpg
    Stand Canopy 3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 388
  • Canopy Stain 2.jpg
    Canopy Stain 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 441
All Stained and Painted. Now to install lights and fans.

Attachments

• Stand Canopy 4.jpg
    Stand Canopy 4.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 415
  • Stand Canopy 5.jpg
    Stand Canopy 5.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 654
I mounted fans on either end on the canopy to promote air circulation and keep the lights cool. I took a computer fan, cut off the plug, and stripped the wires. I did the same to a variable DC power supply and the twisted/taped the wires together. There is a screwdriver adjustable dial on the power amp the allows me to vary the amount of volts DC, controling the speed of the fans.

Attachments

• Fan 2.jpg
    Fan 2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 368
  • fan 5.jpg
    fan 5.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 333
  • fan 4.jpg
    fan 4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 335
  • Fan 1.jpg
    Fan 1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 343
  • fan 3.jpg
    fan 3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 312
For lights, I chose T-5 flourescent. I wanted LED, but couldn't afford it. There are 6-54 watt bulbs, which should be enough to grow coral, anemones, ect. The lights are an IceCap retrofit and included reflectors. I like the water proof caps.

Attachments

• IceCap 1.jpg
    IceCap 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IceCap 2.jpg
    IceCap 2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IceCap 3.jpg
    IceCap 3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 330
  • IceCap 5.jpg
    IceCap 5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IceCap 6.jpg
    IceCap 6.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IceCap 4.jpg
    IceCap 4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IceCap 7.jpg
    IceCap 7.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Tham man stand came out great, dont really care for the 2 difrent colors but thats all personal prefrence. Did you add center braces ???? A full fish tank can weight a grip !!!!
The blue background kinda looks weird also to me it would look super sick if it was black. with your color scheme

Tham man stand came out great, dont really care for the 2 difrent colors but thats all personal prefrence. Did you add center braces ???? A full fish tank can weight a grip !!!!
The blue background kinda looks weird also to me it would look super sick if it was black. with your color scheme

There are 2 braces going front to back on the bottom and one brace in the middle on top. You should be able to see it in the pics of the stand, especially the one where the stand is on it's side.

Yeah i seen those but i meant a center brace like in the middle of the doors and in the same spot in front going from bottom of stand to the top.

nope, I got the design from someone who did something similar for a 90 gallon tank. The way the stand is made, with the legs being 4x4 and notched to allow the top and bottom parts of the frame to rest on the legs, the weight transfers through the wood, to the floor.

Ok sounds good to me Great design then, it should give you alot of room to play with sumps and everything, i know my stand was a pain. i could not get a big sump in there so i had to use 2 sumps and put them toghether using pvc and bulkheads.

Very nice build! I always admire someone with the knowledge to build something like that! I can't wait to see it up and running. So cute the way you used it for a Christmas decoration, too!!

Back