Poor oppressed diamond goby...

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
So I think my kole tang has just really been getting more aggressive. My diamond goby, who spends his waking hours sifting my sand, was M.I.A. last night at feeding. Finally found him under a different rock (moved out of his usual home). Then today, he moved to yet another rock, and did not come out to eat, but rather, only grabbed food that floated past his new home.

Then I noticed that the kole tang would come up to him, hover to the goby's side, and just trying to rub on him, while the goby would open his mouth wide in defense. After a few times of this, the goby finally went back to his new cave.

I've already tried rearranging rocks (in fact, I added more rocks). Gonna try the mirror trick soon, but seriously, that kole is just a bully! He already bullied my lawnmower blenny into hiding a while back. My lmb only comes out at night to eat.

I dont know why anyone gets those mean and aggressive types of fish. Seems like people always get them and then complain about how bitchy they are.

Hopefully the mirror will give him someone to pick on his own size LOL

I've read they tend to be mild mannered. And the goby has been in the tank for a year now and quite established. The kole tang was added a few months ago, and was perfectly fine with all the other fish. But even with every "peaceful" fish, there are the exceptions. No fish is a guaranteed "mean" or "nice".

I've read that they can be aggressive with fish that also eat algae sheets, but he's been nothing but super BFFs with the coral beauty and the foxface, but mean with the lawnmower. Which again, goes to show that even with the "right' temperament, a fish can still surprise you.

From wetwebmedia:

Some folks have reported that their Kole was disagreeable with other fish livestock; but it's been my experience that the vast majority of this and all other Ctenochaetus Tangs get along with most all tankmates... with the exception of other fishes that occupy their "niche"... that is, mainly other Ctenochaetus and similarly shaped fishes (Zebrasomas mostly) and some Rabbitfishes... that look like and feed on similar types of algae (filamentous attached). There can be some "sparring" to be expected if these sorts of fishes are placed too close together, in cramped quarters.... Similar fishes, particularly other Acanthuroids, like the Siganids (Rabbitfishes) require a good fifty gallons per specimen to keep together.

seems like all Ctenochaetus tangs are this way. sad to say i have had my striped bristletooth for like 4.5 years and it has just became a total belligerent asshole lately. amazing algae eater i hate to get rid of it.

So a few days ago, after feeding, I chased Toon Link around the tank with a fishnet LOL The whole time I'm shouting "Uh-huh....you like that? You LIKE that???" If I had caught him, I'd have dumped him in the sump a few days....but I did not expect to catch him. He knew I was gunning for him because while the other fish were on one end of the tank, he was the only one left on the other end and I was only following him.

So yesterday, I finally got a mirror, and he's been OBSESSING like crazy over his reflection! On the other hand, my goby is out and about more, and so is my lawnmower blenny!

How long can I keep the mirror up? I mean, he's obsessing like crazy. I had to take it down for a few minutes so he'd remember to eat, and while eating, he was pacing back and forth where the mirror was. Has anyone known a fish to bash himself to death over his own reflection? LOL

I doubt he's lonely...he swims around all day long w/ the coral beauty and foxface with no issues. Those 3 usually stick together all day. He never bothers the clownfish, chromis, 6 line (who's only an inch and a half long), nor the banggai cardinal. And it's not like I can stick another Kole Tang in there.

Ok, put together a video montage of Gobe's ordeal. Zero tolerance to bullies! Too bad I can't catch the little sh*t that's bullying Gobe LOL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB2G6tSl2t8]YouTube - Taming an Aggressive Yellow Eyed Kole Tang[/ame]

What a meanie!! My Tomini used to get into it with my diamond goby, too. Until he killed himself in a mini rock slide. This video totally made me miss my goby. :(
It's kind of funny how pissed they get over the mirror, though.

Man, next thing you know he is going to be ripping off pieces of glass from the side of the tank and someone is going to have to get in there and pepper spray him.

Wonton, you need to giving your tang a more structured environment, or a good ass whoppin, or send him off to fish labor camps. Teach that fish some respect!

;)

Man, next thing you know he is going to be ripping off pieces of glass from the side of the tank and someone is going to have to get in there and pepper spray him.

Wonton, you need to giving your tang a more structured environment, or a good ass whoppin, or send him off to fish labor camps. Teach that fish some respect!

;)

But he's an ANGEL I tell you! If everyone would just talk to him, I'm sure he'll settle down!

Back