Prototype220's 20g long

Prototype220

Reefing newb
As you all may or may not know, my 10g was boiled alive by my stealth heater that went kauput last week, and I am in the process of filing a claim with Marinelnd now :frustrat: So now I have decided to set up a 20g long :D and make my 10g into a QT tank, whick now has Shortcake, the strawberry basslet awaiting a clean bill of health to be placed in the 20g. I set the 20g up 4/7/12, and it has 20# live black sand, about 25-30# of LR swapped out of my 92g, a hydor powerhead, JBJ Unibody dimmable LED, a Biowheel 200, a maxi-jet 1200 pointed behind the LR for better water movement, a lone yellow tail blue damsel named SHARKBAIT, two atreas, & two blue legged hermits. Wanting to add some LPS like the 10 had, maybe a few SPS further down the line, and a few more fish and inverts, & LOTS more CUC. Thinking of adding a Biocube skimmer for added filtration, and maybe a lil bit more LR. But here are a few pics to start, and once again, any comments and suggestions are welcome... LET"S GET THIS THING GOING :bounce:If you look closely, you may notice the barnacle's coraline is white, also on the intake for the biowheel...This is from the boil last week :(

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 411
Everything except the basslet died, and that was only because I QT'd it the night before for ich. The good news is the ich is gone now :/

The ich isnt gone, just dormant.

https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

But im glad to see you are upgrading/rebuilding!
The 10 gal is now my QT tank, no sand, no rock, just water (with 1.18 salinity), fish, and a air pump. Doing 25% water changes every other day, plus, there was no water in it for 4 days before I set it up as a QT cuz I cleaned it out after the stealth fiasco. I was wondering tho, I have been treating the fish for a week now with lowsalinity and Rid ich Plus. He hasn't had any visible signs of ich for a few days now and i'm still giving daily doses of the meds. So how long before you think it safe to introduce him to the 20g? Here are a few pics of the setup, pay no attention to the sediment on the bottom because today is water change day :)

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 401
You need to treat with hypo for at least 2 months and leave the DT fallow for that long as well. You will also need to treat every fish you get after this with the same 2 months of hypo, otherwise you will have ich in your tank again. And the salinity actually needs to be at 1.009, the salinity you have right now will still allow for ich to live.

I would also stop using the medication, it might be adding more stress and when doing QT you want to keep the stress as low as possible.

You need to treat with hypo for at least 2 months and leave the DT fallow for that long as well. You will also need to treat every fish you get after this with the same 2 months of hypo, otherwise you will have ich in your tank again. And the salinity actually needs to be at 1.009, the salinity you have right now will still allow for ich to live.

I would also stop using the medication, it might be adding more stress and when doing QT you want to keep the stress as low as possible.
Why would I keep my DT empty if it's a new tank? I think you are still thinking i have the 10g set up. The 10g is now the QT. After the boil I took everything out and either pitched it or cleaned it. The Basslet was in a bucket, but once the tank boiled, I decided to make the 10g my QT. I set up a 20g long as my DT with new sand, LR from my 4 year old 92g, 80% water from my 92g, cleaned the biowheel with new carbon and wheel, and cleaned powerhead. So i gues it's not a brand new 20g setup, but close.

Because you have ich in the 92 gal tank you took the rock and water from, so now its in your new tank. The only way to start a tank ich free is to start with totally dry rocks and sand, new water and cycle from there.

So it is true that all tanks/fish have ich? Never had an outbreak in the big tank, even when i didn't clean it for almost a year! I'm confused beacause I get so many answers on the subject.

Yes, as long as the fish arent stressed they wont show signs of ich. Which is a good thing, it means your fish are happy in the 92.

You really should read the link I posted, it explains all of this

Because you have ich in the 92 gal tank you took the rock and water from, so now its in your new tank. The only way to start a tank ich free is to start with totally dry rocks and sand, new water and cycle from there.
It says the same thing on Chuck's Addiction, but I thought it had to be introduced to your tank, and I just figured I'd just been lucky enough not to introduce it to the 92. Especially since I was so slack last year on taking care of the tank. Damn near everything died (crabs and snails) except the fish! The tang was happy because there was algae GALORE, but I only fed them and topped of water for about a year!

Ok, so I believe my tank is finally finished going through it's mini cycle, and Sharkbait the yellow tail damsel survived :bounce:. I checked water params every other day, and my ammonia never went higher than .25, which I was concerned about because I hastily added him to the tank against my better judgement. Added Stability for the past week, and now everything is checking out A OK, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, phosphates 0, pH 8.0, kh 9, calcium 460, and nitrates 20, which'll be lowered after I do my wc tomorrow. Last week I purchased a Fluval C2, and it has been running with my biowheel 200. Wondering if I should take down the bio, or just keep them both running? I know the HOB filters are considered "nitrate factories", but I've researched refugiums and sumps, and since the tank is displayed in my bedroom on my dresser, neither of the options would work for me (unless I completely hollow out my dresser, but then where would my jeans go) :grumble:. What would you do?
p.s. I also have a mated pair of saddleback clowns on hold I cant wait to pick up and show pics!!!

Hang your jeans in the damn closet! There are sumps to be had, woman! LoL
But in all seriousness, I am really liking the Aquaclear filter i have on the ten. I can run carbon if I feel I need to polish the water and I can also use it as a fuge for some cheato and live rock rubble.
I can't wait to see your clowns. Are you keeping the damsel?

Hang your jeans in the damn closet! There are sumps to be had, woman! LoL
But in all seriousness, I am really liking the Aquaclear filter i have on the ten. I can run carbon if I feel I need to polish the water and I can also use it as a fuge for some cheato and live rock rubble.
I can't wait to see your clowns. Are you keeping the damsel?
Idk, I kind of like the damsel actually. I know they have such a bad rep, but I had one before for about 4 years (a yellow tail) who was peaceful. I also had two dominos who I eventually returned to the lfs for store credit because they were holy terrors after awhile. I'm thinking maybe he'll be ok to keep as long as I put things in there that can hold their own and wont take his :pooh: lol The clowns should be ok, and maybe a dottyback/basslet, or maybe a wrasse...any suggestions?

Back