Samantha's Biocube 14 (Reborn)

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
After 8 months of sitting empty in my closet, the Biocube 14 is REBORN! :mrgreen:

DSC03086.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

Sweet, what's your plan for it?? BTW, I wish I JUST had a 14G biocube in my closet :)

Good work, What ya puttin' in there ?

Well, right now, just sand. ;) I actually think I'm going to move my mandarin into the Biocube. My green mandarin (Jack) was in my 46 gallon (now my 50 gallon), but he just couldn't compete with my other fish to get the food he needs (he's very slow and finicky). I ended up moving him to a temporary 6 gallon I set up a couple of weeks ago, and now I think I'm just going to move him into the Biocube to give him some more space. I have a sergeant major in QT that I bought a couple of weeks ago, and I might put him with the mandarin. I just don't know yet...:question:

DSC03088.jpg

poor mandarin, they are slow eaters. maybe get him a buddy if you can get it feeding ;)

Yeah, he's a real slowpoke. It's comical and pathetic watching him eat (or try to eat); my watchman goby beat him to the food every time. Even in the 6 gallon, Jack still takes his sweet time getting to the food, and then seems to "get full" after eating about 5-10 brine/mysis shrimp whether they are live or frozen. I can see his chest bones, and it worries me. I've been adding zoecon to his food, but he doesn't seem to be gaining weight...:dunno:

do you only feed him once a day? If so, that's probably why. Mandarins in the wild are constantly eating food in the wild and will constantly pick at pods on your rocks. If the only food he's getting is frozen from you then you'll probably need to feed him more than once a day.

do you only feed him once a day? If so, that's probably why. Mandarins in the wild are constantly eating food in the wild and will constantly pick at pods on your rocks. If the only food he's getting is frozen from you then you'll probably need to feed him more than once a day.

No, I've been feeding him 4 times a day - That's why it doesn't make any sense...:(

Well, Jack the Mandarin died about a week ago. The water parameters were all fine, so I guess he just still wasn't eating enough. :cry:

I've moved my sergeant major (Sergeant Ricky Bobby Stripes - Nice name, huh? ;)) into the Biocube now. Ricky seems to be doing well, and I'm hoping that I may find a nice friend (I'm thinking a clown goby) at the LFS for Ricky this weekend.

FTS:
DSC03224.jpg

Pic of Ricky:
DSC03223.jpg

A Small Frag of the Miami Orchid that's in My 50 Gallon (I've never tried keeping SPS in this biocube, so I'm crossing my fingers...)
DSC03275.jpg

Last edited:
Video of Mexican Turbo Snail on the Merry-go-Round ;)

Is there a way to post/embed videos so that when you click on the video it doesn't open another webpage taking you to Photobucket to watch the video?

Last edited:
Figured out how to post a video from Youtube! Score! :D
Here's the same snail video again:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkwLVHXjmA[/ame]

yea thats a shame about your mandarin, they are reallllllly sensative fish with highly demanding diets, its an unusual example that i have had my mandarin in my tank for over 4 months, but i am also obsessive and feed him everyday if not multiple times a day. they are almost impossible to keep in tanks with less that 100 pounds of live rock. he also did look pretty thin in the original picture, sometimes even if you manage to train them onto frozen food and get them eating regularyl enough to survive, by the time they are eating regularly, they are too thin to make it. [too far gone in otherowrds] dont be discouraged! it was not your tank it was the needs of the fish that didnt work for your tank. theres plenty of colourful alternatives, asi kno how enticing the mandarin can be. id jsut be cautious of another mandarin too soon. it could be possbile in the 14 but VERy difficult... good luck!

yea thats a shame about your mandarin, they are reallllllly sensative fish with highly demanding diets, its an unusual example that i have had my mandarin in my tank for over 4 months, but i am also obsessive and feed him everyday if not multiple times a day. they are almost impossible to keep in tanks with less that 100 pounds of live rock. he also did look pretty thin in the original picture, sometimes even if you manage to train them onto frozen food and get them eating regularyl enough to survive, by the time they are eating regularly, they are too thin to make it. [too far gone in otherowrds] dont be discouraged! it was not your tank it was the needs of the fish that didnt work for your tank. theres plenty of colourful alternatives, asi kno how enticing the mandarin can be. id jsut be cautious of another mandarin too soon. it could be possbile in the 14 but VERy difficult... good luck!
Yeah, I miss my mandarin. However, I don't think I'll get another one. I actually ended up buying a little green clown goby a couple of weeks ago to go with the sergeant major.
how is the acropora doing under the biocube lights? and where is its placement as of now
As for the acro, it's actually doing pretty well. :x: I have it at the very top of the aquarium on the left side. I'll try to get some pictures up sometime this week... ;)

Back