tang vs angel with extra questions

kmart189

Reefing newb
I am kinda playing with the idea of adding one or the other I kinda like achilles tangs, but not the $tang and I also like emeror angelfish what would you guys pick I would have to be purchasing the fish at a decent size as well so it doesn't get eaten. Or would you recommend something else if so what? Also currently I don't have any corals, but am playing with the idea of adding some if something would be okay in my tank I know it isn't really stocked with reef safe fish, but couldn't I add some of the easier cheaper corals just to add color?
current stock 150 gallon
volitan lion
clown grouper
harlequin tusk
zebra eel
snowflake eel

I love that Angel, but it will probably eat any corals you put in the tank with. I had one and I had to remove after a couple of weeks. They can do a lot of damage in a very short time (as I found out)

okay ill add a naso tang and a powder blue tang to the choices im looking lol I still like the achilles minus the price don't want to spend that much on a fish. Just thought I have no cleanup crew since my eel or harlequin would eat them. There are some small snails and stuff in my sump, but not in the dt

Last edited:
okay ill add a naso tang and a powder blue tang to the choices im looking lol I still like the achilles minus the price don't want to spend that much on a fish. Just thought I have no cleanup crew since my eel or harlequin would eat them. There are some small snails and stuff in my sump, but not in the dt

Haha, I'm actually trying to find out the same thing...I am curious what you are supposed to use for CUC in a predatory tank...I guess you could use sea urchins, but then no coral, also Sen5214b mentioned that they eat coraline algae too, so that predator tank of yours may end up a little colorless.

Then again, I almost want to say that I've seen http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+527+577&pcatid=577 in predator display tanks, but i could be wrong.

i would stay away from the archilles tang too, very hard to keep, more then likeley will die. i believe its one of the fish that should be kept in the ocean and not in the aquarium.

I dont think I would try to add any more fish to that 150.All those predators are messy eaters,so more fish could really cause problems with your water quality.
JMO though.

I agree with yote, thats a pretty stressful environment.

Achilles as knuckle mentioned are very hard to keep and WILL get ich. As well as the Powder blue tang it WILL get ich.

The naso would probably be okay with your stock but not the tank size. If you do insist on trying go with the naso, make sure it is eating before you buy.

I dont think I would try to add any more fish to that 150.All those predators are messy eaters,so more fish could really cause problems with your water quality.
JMO though.

I was going to post the same thing. I totally agree that even though you have a 150 which is a good size tank that those fish are all messy eaters and will add to the bioload of your tank. IMO the tank is full now. JMO

Ok it's cheaper not to buy so I will let them grow. I still have the question of: Could
I keep any of the hardier corals with current livestoch maybe xenia trees I see a lot of people saying they grow like weeds and some others (which ones?). I will have to upgrade my lighting if I were to do this what would you reccommend for wattage/specific lights (don't really want metal halide because I don't want to deal with heat issues. Thanks

I think that the only trouble you'd have with corals,would be the eels knocking them over.But that can be taken care of with a little epoxy or super glue gel. As long as you stick with soft corals,they wont be any problems once they attach themselves to the rock.
If you really want to try corals,you can go with a good set of T-5s.But I dont think you'd have any trouble with halides either.

Thanks yote I don't think the eels would be to much of a trouble since they usually stay on the bottom and stick to the same path most of the time. I could see my zebra messing with them though.

Back