1.030 Salinity

clancaster23

Reefing newb
It's water testing day. I was doing my 14 gallon and I got to the salinity and its testing between 1.029 and 1.030. I was going to do a five gallon water change. Should I still do it or should I just top it off with fresh water? If I should do the change, should I not add salt to some of the mix? Maybe two gallons of salt mix and three of fresh or what? All other tests are good.

Have used a refractometer since day one.

You say top it off slowly, just with fresh water? I'm guessing if I'm just going to top it off that I don't want to add more salt. When I top off, I don't add salt unless it's really low (never has been). Since I'm wanting to do a water change (having my first algae bloom) I wasn't sure if I should change some or just wait it out.

Do a water change with just RO/DI water. Obviously, dont do a huge one, but you would be surprised at how much you can change out with fresh before drastically changing the salinity. I would just slowly add it to the tank after to remove the water so the salinity doesnt change rapidly.

Also, when was the last time you calibrated your refractometer?

Ya, i would take out a gallon or two. Then see what your salinity is, if its still high, then remove a gallon more a few days later.

You can drop salinity a lot faster than you can raise it.

Never top of with anything BUT freshwater.
Just needed to make sure you are clear on that... talking about topping off in your first post.

Other than that, I agree with doing a few small water changes with freshwater to slowly bring it back down. Your inverts are at the highest risk with drastic changes in salinity. Second, your fish are having a harder time breathing and it's harder on their immune systems at higher salinity levels.

I wouldn't top off with salt water lol. I know the water evaporates but the salt doesn't ;). I have just one hermit crab in there with my two clowns and no corals yet. Tank is only about a month old post-cycle.

I'm going to take out two gallons, fill it up with fresh and I'll check it out again tomorrow. If it isn't low enough in a few days, I'll do the same again.

Do a change with 1.024 - 1.026 water, it will still lower your tank, then top off a little higher the next day with RODI. Keep doing this and in a few days, you'll be back to normal.

Back