1'' overflow

bullitt21

Reefing newb
okay here is the deal.i have a dual 1'' overflow and 1350gph pump.i have to run it down to my sump but it has to be hose.so i necked it down to 3/4.it has to go up 10'.will my overflow be enough with 3/4.and or will the pump keep up?might sound dump.but surly one of you guys/gals had this problem. thanks for the help.

Do you have a link to the pump your running?
Most return lines are 3/4 anyway.But you also got to remember that you'll loose some pressure/flow due to the height your pumping the water.

Two 1''inch drains can handle about 1200gph so the manufacturers say.There will be alot of burping and gurgling for the drains to keep up with that amount.Realistically,it's more around 900gph or even a little less.The pump should work fine,put a ball valve on the return side closest to the pump.In that way,you can control how much is returned/drained.

ok i hooked it all up and it barely makes up to my tank.so i guess i need a better pump.anyone no of a good pump.i have 125gal and a 75gal sump.from sump(in my basement) to main tank is about 10'.any good advice is well needed.

how about this one?

Gen X PCX-70 High Pressure external pump. 1550 gph maximum flow. 1 inch MPT inlet and outlet ports. Pressure Rated for a Maximum Lift of 31.8 ft. Quiet running, maintenance free, no oiling required. 300watt, 110Volts, 3.2 amps PSI Rating 15. Flow rate @ 3' Head 1500GPH

if your sump is not drilled you will need to either get it drilled to use that pump or get a submersible pump. that gen-x will not work very long if it has to pull water to they are not made for pulling water.

i use a rio hyperflow17 for my tank but you would need a larger one. if you go and buy a bulkhead that will match up to the size of pipe your gen-x you can have the sump drilled at a glass shop for cheap. it would prob be cheaper to do that than it would be to go and get a new pump.

this is ccapts sump this is what it sould look like

plumbing1-down_2-08.jpg

ok.but that genx was just something i was looking to buy.the pump i have just trickles when it gets to the main tank and it is 1350 gph pump.

okay here is the deal.i have a dual 1'' overflow and 1350gph pump.i have to run it down to my sump but it has to be hose.so i necked it down to 3/4.it has to go up 10'.will my overflow be enough with 3/4.and or will the pump keep up?might sound dump.but surly one of you guys/gals had this problem. thanks for the help.
Are you using 3/4" INSIDE diameter hose for your overflow drain line? If so, that will only be able to handle 300 gph max...and that's really pushing it. If it's regualar garden hose, I don't think that's even 3/4" ID.
That GenX is way too powerful. You would need a gate valve after it to slow it down or your sump would get drained and flood the tank. Remember, if you used 3/4" inside diameter hose, you are limited to about 300gph for each overflow...600gph total.

it is 3/4 inside.i have to use that because where the hose has to go.heck the pump i got says 1350 and it barely makes is to the tank.iam stumped.

Back