10 Gal Frag Tank

BigH55

I'm that guy
I ran across another frag tank package. Its a 10 gal, 6" tall and about 20"x20". It comes with a 70w MH, sump, skimmer, cooling fan, return pump, and all the corals in it and LR.

corals include:
5 pieces assorted SPS
Assorted zoos, to many to list
misc mushrooms
2 softies
Star polyps
10# live rock

Its a cool little tank and would fit on a shelf. Do you think its a good deal or what price do you think it should be?

What brand light and skimmer?
A viper clamp on 70 watt MH will cost you 160 bucks new.
I'd say that price is fairly close.But I'd still jew.

It looks like a Nova extreme. Its a black half circle shape. Im thinking of offering him 200 for it and seeing what he says. i dont need the whole bottom half of the system.

Dude you already have a frag tank, if its the corals you are after BUY THEM! Dude the tank itself is worth like $20 literally.

Im obsessed with small tanks. I think im gonna let this one pass. I got enough to do with the frag tank thats not even running yet. I dis start working on it and hopefully tomorrow ill have some water in it.

I got about $150 in my 10g frag tank but thats only IF you don't include the cost of the friggin' mag racks. There's over a hundred just in the mag racks but I won't include them because some people wouldn't use them. I love them!!

I have a PC light that uses (6) 13w bulbs. I use mostly blue colors with only (1) 10k bulb for growth. Thats about $80

The filtration duties are covered by a cheap HOB refugium that I bought from Aquatraders. It's got a skimmer built in. Granted it's not the worlds greatest Super Duper Turbo Bubbler 3000 skimmer. But it skims. That was $50

The refugium is powered with a MJ1200. $20?

About 10lbs of live rock and 10 pounds of sand. $5 for sand and the rocks came from the 30g display.

I have enough corals in there right now that if I sold out tomorrow I'd probably be $1000 richer. You don't need a big or complicated frag tank to make some cash.

The problem with selling frags is finding customers who want what you got and they also need to have the cash when you got the frags ready to sell. I considered starting a website, but once you do that you're considered a commercial business and nobody will let you sell in their forums anymore after that. It sucks when somebody digs up one of your old ads and offers to buy several frags that you don't have anymore. People are finniky in this hobby. I have a hard time selling a "different" frag of the same damn coral. It's the same coral!! It's just on a rock instead of a plug......... or it's a 3" mushroom instead of a 2" mushroom....... or the pic they found has 5 polyps on it and all you have ready to sell right now is one with 10 polyps.... but they want it for the same price as a 5 polyp frag......:frustrat: ........ and bargaining with them to "split the difference" still isn't good enough for some people....... Try and GIVE a guy 2 extra polyps and thats STILL not enough to seal the deal........ and then you have craigslist symdrome --- where some A-hole schedules an appointment to come over on Saturday at friggin' NOON to buy corals...... but the SOB never shows up ...... so you waste the morning waiting on the guy..... and then wait until 1pm before you give up...... and you day is shot to hell over some rotten craigslist A-hole that wanted to come over and "look" at $20 worth of corals........ but he never showed up........ and it was too much trouble to have him come over at 9am ....... because then if he didn't show at least you hadn't wasted an entire Saturday..... but he likes to sleep late on Saturday and the only time he can come over is in the middle of the fookin' DAY on a SATURDAY....... but he never shows up......

Anybody wanna buy a 10g frag tank?

cheap

Last edited:
It's a pain in the ass.

I'd almost rather just toss them down the toilet than screw around with people on the internet. The tank grows and gets crowded so you have no choice....... you HAVE to cut corals back so they don't touch and fight. Kinda like a water garden. You cut the plants back as they try to overgrow each other.

Seams natural for most reefers to have a frag tank. The hard part is selling them.

from a different perspective: I sell frags all the time on craigslist and through forums, and I am always pleased with the outcome. I always charge a fair price, post pics of the mother colony, and give a good written description. I usually get a fairly quick response and I have met some great people through fragging. For example, I sold a young man a red shroom for $5 for his new nano. He was so excited that I couldnt help but throw in some extras. I gave him a choc mint shroom and a couple of heads of Zoas. He was so appreciative that he emails me pics of his tank to update me on his progress and we have become friends. Everytime I get something new in my tank I break him off a piece and he does the same for me. In addition to meeting great people, I have not had to pay for any coral at all recently as I am constantly working out trades on craigslist. It's great!

You're LUCKY!!

Look at this site:
http://payitfowardcorals.freeforums.org/portal.php

NOBODY wants to sign up and trade corals around here. I've sold frags of 10-15 polyps of pretty colorful watermelon zoas here for $5 just to get rid of them because the frag tank is getting over crowded as well. Was selling superman mushrooms for $5 just to get them out of the tank.

At those prices it's not worth it. If somebody stiffs you and you end up waiting all day for a no-show customer. Must be the people in Denver.

Nobody here at LR wanted any frags either. I tried selling frags here and I tried once to get people interested in a frag swap. Nobody wants to do it. Too much effort to toss some corals in a bag, put the bag in a $3 walmart thermos bottle, box it up with some hand warmers and newspaper and then take it to the post office.............

Last edited:
Forgot:

I can GIVE AWAY frags to a LOT of people. :grumble:

All it costs me is the bags, rubber bands, electricity to grow the frags for 2 or 3 months, the ceramic frag plugs, a lot of work and some salt.............. why shouldn't I just hand them out like free raffle tickets? I must be an A-hole........ asking $1 or $2 per polyp on zoas and $5 or $10 for a mushroom anyone would pay $20 for in the LFS......

hey hey hey! :fechten2:I'm not saying that I give away freebies to everyone. I was just using that example of how I made a great friend through fragging. He came to buy one frag and I recognized a person that would appreciate, and I felt deserved a little kindness. Not to mention that he DID BUY ONE FRAG. He is the only one I have given freebies to, but I always give a great deal. I look at it as though I were the one buying the frag. Kind of the golden rule approach to business. So far it's worked out very well for me. Like I said before, no creeps, no dead beats, and I haven't paid for a coral in almost two months. What more could I ask for :D

I re-read your posts and I think maybe you didn't deserve to get sliced and diced, sorry about that. It sounds like it must just be your local market. I really appreciate that link you gave. I just signed up and I look forward to checking it out. I hope your fragging experience gets better! I don't see any need to continue to import wild corals the way we do when there are people like you with them available just down the street!

Back