10 Gal Reef set-up

GOOD JOB!!!!!

Seriously, research before the purchase is a practice that makes for great reefers....and MUCH happier livestock....

Yeah, now that I have the QT tank I'm going to use it. Another quick question since I've got you somewhat here, should Inverts be QT? Or not? Also, when the time comes, any help you could give me on fragging zoas would be greatly appreciated. And I do look up stuff before I purchase, just hard to sift through all the bs because if you ask 10 different people/websites you could very well get 10 completely different answers (most of the time). So, it's hard sometimes. That's why a lot of my questions are aimed towards you guys. Most of you know MUCH more then any of the LFS around me lol. And finding out Information online can sometimes be difficult because it's hard to tell if it was written by someone with a PhD or a Highschool kid wrote it as a report. So, yeah. I double check everything I hear with you guys anyway lol

Great....The crap is hard to strain out of the good material but you will get accustomed to weeding it out...Believe it or not LiveAquaria has a lot of great articles as does ReefKeeping Magazine, the e-magazine that is part of ReefCentral....beauty is, it is searchable....LOTS of good info.....As for compatability go with compatability charts and experienced hobbyists....and always remember, if the average LFS can sell you something they will, even knowing it will fail because that will just bring you back to spend more money....they are not all bad, but keep it in mind, they make living by separating you from yours.....

The LFS that I'm closest with is USUALLY fairly honest with me. He refused to sell me fish initially when he found out that my tank was uncycled (when I first started out). He also told me how to set everything up and to come back in a month once everything was set up. He's usually the guy I order fish and most of my inverts from. He gladly shares advice/wisdom with me and will actually tell me if it's a bad idea for me to do something. But all of the other ones I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them. They'd sell me a peice of poo and tell me it was a 1st class coral worth 900$ lol (Obviously exaggerating :p)

What is even worse is when they sell creatures that are beyond your abilities or your system capacities....one thing I have noticed you saying is that when a fish outgrows your tank you will trade it in for something smaller.....think of it this way....would you get a dog with plans to drop it back off and get another one when the first doesn't suit anymore? Not trying to bash you, just throwing that out there....these fish are really cool but sensitive critters and being re-captured and thrown into unfamiliar surroundings repeatedly causes a lot of stress....

You know, I've had that thought myself (maybe not in relation too the whole dog way). I actually am falling in love with my Tang. Instead of swapping him out for a smaller one, I may just have to upgrade it in the future. I didn't think I'd become as attached to them as I am... but yeah, I ended up falling in love with my fish :). So, yeah, when the time comes I'm going to upgrade to either a 180g or 200g. Already talked with my gf, and she's agreed too it :).

Now THAT sounds like a plan to me!!!! These fish really get to be pets....I really wish I had some of the ones I've had before back again....I could tell you about some quirky characters.....

but then...I've been doing this reef stuff since before a lot of successful hobbyists have been alive!!!!

Haha Including me! I'm only 22 :p. And to be honest, my favorite is my Diamond Watchman Goby. He's a hoot to watch. I found a 200g pre-drilled with all the plumbing included (and sump/refug) for like 600$. When I get my tax return I might do that lol. Wouldn't set it up for a while probably since I don't have anywhere to put it as of now lol. Also found a 60G long that measures 72x12x17 for 80$ on craiglist. Might pick that one up as well lol :)

Watch out for very narrow tanks....ground space comes at a premium in them and they can really limit corals and clams that do best on the sandbed....just my .02...

not a bad choice but something shallow and closer to a square is easier to light...I will be using my standard 29G for a frag tank but just because I already have it...and it's drilled with overflow and such so it can go right into the shared system....

Maybe I'll start with a 20g long? Might pick up the tank anyway just to have it at some point :p. I found a couple of halides on craigslist that are long enough for it for like 150$ lol

I have a bunch of MH stuff I am going to have to get rid of once I get everything dug through!!! When ever that is!!!!

Before I shut the lights off they were fully opened up so I figured I'd snap a couple of pics :)

Attachments

• 2013-04-04_20-25-03_233.jpg
    2013-04-04_20-25-03_233.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 2013-04-04_20-25-20_515.jpg
    2013-04-04_20-25-20_515.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 228
  • 2013-04-04_20-25-26_18.jpg
    2013-04-04_20-25-26_18.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 2013-04-04_20-25-42_580.jpg
    2013-04-04_20-25-42_580.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 2013-04-04_20-25-47_650.jpg
    2013-04-04_20-25-47_650.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 2013-04-04_20-25-53_878.jpg
    2013-04-04_20-25-53_878.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 232
Picked up another small zoa frag, a white star polyp, and a goniopora (this last one is kind of a experiment). I heard the goniopora are very hard to take care of from what people have told me, and what I've researched. It's been in the tank for roughly 4 hours or so as of now. It's opened, and looking great. So, we'll see how it goes (wish me luck :p).

Also, would I be able to put the White and Green polyps next to each other, like, would their stings hurt one another? Or could I kind of stick them together and have them almost grow together? Any input is appreciated :)

So, while searching craiglist tonight (as is my normal routine) I stumbled across a large hexagonal tank.... for free! Came with a 203 Fluval Canister Filter and a HOB filter, as well as a Lid, 2 lights (don't think either of them actually work), a whole bunch of carbon for the canister, sponges, ammonia detox stuff, and tons of fish food (flakes, pellets, etc). All for FREE. Doing a water test on it right now, been holding water full for the past 2-3 hours :mrgreen:.

I think it's either a 45, 50, 55, or 60. Dunno for certain, how would I measure it? is the width from it's widest points? because width and depth should be the same (because of the shape... right?). It's easily over 3 feet tall (It's almost as tall as my four year old son :p).

Was thinking, maybe a seahorse tank :O?

That's a good size, this one is much bigger then that tho lol. I know it's over 3 feet seeing as my son is like 40" tall. And he is just about level with it. I think it's about 1.5-2' wide. I'll measure it once the kids are asleep and I have a free minute lol :p

Back