10 gallon with Ich

Fishyyy

Reefing newb
Last week my 10 gallon nano got infected with ich so the past 6 days i have set up temp up to 86 24-hours a day and the salinity down to 1.010, is my tank cleared of ich now?

I'm not positive but I think once you have ich in your tank it will always be there, Someone with more knowledge will pop in soon.

No, ich will be in your tank as long as fish are in it. In order to eliminate ich from your tank, you have to move *all* of your fish to a seperate quaratine tank, and all equipment used for this tank must be its own equipment, so there's no cross contamination involved.

In quarantine, hyposalinity at 1.009 is said to be the target. Fish can handle it, but there's no knowing how well your bacterial filter population, inverts, or anything else on your live rock can tolerate it. Hyposalinity is done in a quaratine tank, not a display tank.

Increasing the temperature does nothing but speed up ich's lifecycle. Helpful to some degree but not really.

Once your are moved to a quarantine tank, they need to be treated for 6-8 weeks. Your display tank needs to be empty of fish during this, (so ich has nothing to host and will die off) and you have to make sure you don't cross contaminate. Making sure water parameters are stable is the hardest part of keeping a QT tank, due to PH and salinity swings.

Being that the salinity in your nano tank is now 1.010, in order to raise it back up, you'll have to do it over a period of at least a week, slowly.

However, you did not mention what you keep in your tank. If you have no fish, just restore the salinity and temperature back to normal and wait two months. The ich will die off during this period. At this point, if you never want ich again, you'll have to quarantine your fish in a seperate tank for at least 2-8 weeks, before introducing them. However, a lot of people find all of this too frustrating, and just live with ich; if the fish aren't stressed, there's a good chance they can live with it and be healthy. This is why it's so important not to overstock your tank.

This is where a lot of people bail on the hobby. Chances are you can live with ich, by buying healthy looking individuals at the fish store, and making sure they live in the most comfortable conditions possible. Although a quarantine setup is recommended, it's usually practiced by individuals who keep large amounts of expensive fish with large fish tanks. One sick fish can wipe out a whole tank. In a nano, this may not even matter to you, depending on how souless you are. :D

Last edited:
Back