100 gallon FOWLR

Steven59

Reefing newb
I have a 100 gallon FOWLR and a Fluval FX5 connected to the overflow I removed the foam blocks and all water tests have been good almost 0 nitrates.Will this setup eventually cause me problems and if so why?

thanks still learning

Steven

The canister filters tend to collect gunk, which then rots down to nitrates, phosphates and other small dissolved organics. It is then washed back out into the water column where it can go to feed algae. So they have to cleaned very frequently to keep them from collecting gunk. Protein skimmers are much better because they totally remove the particles from the water column.

The canister filters tend to collect gunk, which then rots down to nitrates, phosphates and other small dissolved organics. It is then washed back out into the water column where it can go to feed algae. So they have to cleaned very frequently to keep them from collecting gunk. Protein skimmers are much better because they totally remove the particles from the water column.

Thanks so much I will get the Reef Octopus Diablo XS 160 and a new pump one of the issues I had with my sump was the noise and much more water evaporation is there a way to avoid so much water loss and cleaning filter socks 3 times a week?

You can get a piece of acryllic/plexiglass cut to fit over the top of your sump - that should help some with evaporation, but in this hobby evaporation is unfortunately part of the game.

Back