100 Gallon Saltwater FOWLR

Steven59

Reefing newb
I am new and have 100 gallon FOWLR but an unorthodox setup I have a Fluval FX5 connected to the overflow box with a strainer. I have heard this setup won't work and am wondering why is it because of lack of oxygen? I have had it running 3 weeks and have 3 blue Damsels and all the water parameters are good.Can someone tell me if this setup will work or am I just dreaming. All responses are welcome as I am new and learning thanks

Canister filters are a freshwater technology that doesn't translate well to saltwater usage. You will find that they will become nitrate factories unless you are absolutely OCD about cleaning them. You would be better off sinking some money into a high quality protein skimmer, as that is what is going to help you out most of all. You could keep the canister to run carbon or GFO, but you really want to invest in a skimmer. Trust me.

What kind of skimmer do you suggest i want something quiet since the tank is in the living room I was looking at the Reef Octopus Diablo with the sicce pump or were you thinking something else I am open to all suggestions since I am new to this
thanks

Hi, I'm too new and making enough of my own mistakes to advise you how to make more. but Welcome, there are plenty of smarties here to give you great advice.

If you search and read my posts you can avoid making lots of mistakes.. I tell all on myself.... and if you can mess it up I likely have already done it.. and been chewed out for it.. and paid the dues. But my learning curve is mighty steep! ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
Hi, I'm too new and making enough of my own mistakes to advise you how to make more. but Welcome, there are plenty of smarties here to give you great advice.

If you search and read my posts you can avoid making lots of mistakes.. I tell all on myself.... and if you can mess it up I likely have already done it.. and been chewed out for it.. and paid the dues. But my learning curve is mighty steep! ;) ;) ;)
Well thank you I'm glad I am not alone but I make plenty of mistakes as well

I'm sure all have made plenty of mistakes.. and those who are the most experienced likely are so well skilled by learning from some serious mistakes. The biggest challenge for me is that I can't engineer this hobby.. and I need that in my life... being a retired engineer... and doing wildlife interventions now at what is supposed to be a part time basis. .. I've come full circle.. wanted to be a wildlife photographer .. but couldn't raise a family until I earned a name... so... .

... welcome again. ... watch my mistakes but don't necessarily do what I suggest... LOL.. unless it has to do with plumbing and logistics... then I'm in my zone... ;)

If I post that I'm trying something, don't jump in and follow me , instead wait and seen what happens next.. that way you don't have to make that mistake... but can learn from it.

Last edited:
Back