1000gph

Hkp7

Reefing newb
I have a 46 bowfront with a sump filter which has a 1000gph return pump and was wondering if this is over kill and or if too much water movement in the tank will cause any future problems with my fish. So far so good as far as I can see. Thanks.

If the pump is a return pump then it has to push water up so it will decrease the gph due to gravity pulling back. I think it will be just perfect for a tank your size.

The recommended flow rate thru a sump is 5-10x the tank volume. A faster flow makes the sump less efficient. What kind of overflow do you have? Make sure it can handle that much flow or you can end up with an empty sump and overflowing tank.

The sump has no brand and is made by a local business. It is probably about fifteen gallons and has a built in skimmer if that describes it any. My tank has been extremely clean since getting everything right and havent had any flooding problems. One thing that does bother me is the overflow box hanging from the back of the tank makes a lot of sloshing noise which I reduced a lot of it by dropping a three foot piece of 1/2 inch tubing down the opening through the drain hose. I was concerned because someone told me I should be using around 500gph and when I bought this one from the fish store to go with the sump, I figured the bigger the better. Also, I use black sand in my tank and it shows any fish waste like a beacon going off and the moving water seems to pick up most of it. I was also wondering about my ro filter, I have a three stage 50gpd and was wondering what the benifit, if any, of adding de ionization would be. Thanks, Bill.

The recommended flow rate thru a sump is 5-10x the tank volume. A faster flow makes the sump less efficient. What kind of overflow do you have? Make sure it can handle that much flow or you can end up with an empty sump and overflowing tank.

How does one know it the flow through the sump is TOO much? I think I may have too much, but not sure.

If you just have equipment in the sump, you really can't get too much unless your tank is overflowing. So, as long as your overflows can handle what your return pump is putting out, you should be fine. It can get to be too much if you have part of your sump converted into a fuge.

if you are draining about 800g per hour you should be ok
but with a 46 bowfront i doubt you are unless you have a hob overflow
if its a built overflow in you are only draining about 400-450g per hour

Back