100's of snails

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
I turned on the lights to my 24nano on tonight and there are hundrewds of these little snails everywhere. I tried to ID them off the ID site but I cant say for sure which one they are. Has anyone had this problem? Are they good or bad? Any info would be appreciated.

pointlesswithoutpics1.jpg

How about at least a description.

I tryed to take a pic but there extremly small. They are brown and have a long slender shell. There are tons of them! How do snails reproduce?

Sounds like either stomatella or most likly chitons. I have these in my tank and they keep breeding causing ting snail all over the tank. If thats what they are they're harmless and algae eater. Check this site and let us know if you figure it out.Indo Pacific Snails

at my LFS they had the same prob of overpoblation of snails..the problem is that theill consume all nutrients for other inverts and coraline as well..cause their appettite is too voracious,, controll them by removing some out of the tank...also you can give group counselling how to practice safe sex..and give condoms to the males, that way youll controll overpopulation and minimise STDs ...good luck!!

I'm certainly no expert. FAR from it. I think snails reproduce either one of two ways.

Either asexually, meaning they don't need a mate or a night in the sack to get knocked up. They can do it all by themselves.

OR, they can mate and then carry the fertilized eggs indefinetely. Giving birth when they feel cozy and secure.

I'm not sure exactly how they do it or which answer is correct.

This is the reason why I will NEVER have another snail in an aquarium. I did that ONCE and the darn thing had about 200 babies after it had been in the tank for like 2 months. (ONE snail--not 2 or 6--ONE snail did this.) Then the babies started getting caught in pumps and under stuff. Then they started dieing!! :mad!!: And then I just about lost my entire tank to a massive ammonia and nitrite surge. I was collecting baby snails by the handful. I was tossing over and under everything in the tank to get all of them out.

NEVER AGAIN will I have a snail in an aquarium. NEVER.

Back