10g sump for 55g tank?

Anthony357

Reefing newb
just wondering if you think this would work out? i have a 55g tank with a HOB remora pro skimmer, and also had a 10g tank that kept a blue lobster and a few other things in there that are no longer there, so i have the tank left over, and was wondering...since "eventually" i wanted to do the sump way, to get all the hang on "junk" outta the way, but was always told to do like a 20g instead...so im wondering again if a 10g would cut it? i could put all the heater, skimmer and filter all in the 10g? or that might not be big enough? i was probably going to DIY, whenever i had the time to do it. but i think the way its setup now is just fine...

Space is limited with a 10g.
After you put in baffles,there may not be enough room for your equipment.If you can make it work then go for it.Personally,I go bigger if you have the room.A 20g or 29g long sounds better if they fit.

do you think i should move my hang on stuff into that little tank to cross it over? or just leave the hang on equip i already have and just stick with that? what all else do you think i woiuld need to complete the sump plan?

If you are doing a sump only, you wouldn't necessarily need baffles. In that case, a 10 gallon would work fine to hold your equipment.

what all pieces of equipment would i have to have in there for it to work effieciantly...i would transport the remora skimmer and the heater to the sump tank, would that be all i need? also i have a biowheel filter thats on there just to add some extra filtration, do you think i would have to keep that on the main tank, switch it to the small tank, or just take it off all together?

Since your tank isn't drilled with overflows built in,you will need.

Overflow-you may need a drain hose also if it doesn't come with it.
Plexiglass- for the baffles which I highly recommend.
water pump-this is for the return.You will need to plumb it to the display.Either vinyl hoses,barb fittings and hose clamps(plastic-in water/stainless steel out of water) OR pvc plumbing.If using pvc then you'll need pvc cement and primer.The return nozzle can be a loc-line spout or spray bar or something else.

PVC pipe with holes drilled into them to Spray the water instead of one stream.Heck,its easier to show.Its the middle bar at the top.

JAN075.JPG

Last edited:
Back