10gal Tank

jackie

Reefing newb
My son- of course - 12yrs old - has enjoyed my tank and wants his own. I have a 10gal tank sitting at home - What can he do in a 10gal tank? in the saltwater arena?
Should we use live sand and live rock in such a small tank?
What types of fish can survive in a 10 gal? or would it be best just to do freshwater in that small tank?

A ten gallon would make a nice small reef. The only thing is the water peremeters are harder to keep. Less room for error. You could buy sand and base rock and seed them from your main tank. Also any coral you have you could frag. As for fish I would go with two like clowns or firefish or anything in the small range. Also a nice CUC.

Last edited:
Piggy is right on, you could keep a nice saltwater set up, but you'd be limited to one or two small fish. And live rock is a necessity for a healthy tank. You should aim for 10 to 20 lbs of it in a 10 gallon tank. You will need to keep up with water changes. It's extra important to do so when you have a small tank like that.

some people want aggree with me but a ten gallon tank imho is to smal.l by the time you have put a skimmer on and power heads for water movment they wont be much room and you will be very limited to what fish you can put in and another problem with such a small tanks is keeping the water parimeters stable manythanks

some people want aggree with me but a ten gallon tank imho is to smal.l by the time you have put a skimmer on and power heads for water movment they wont be much room and you will be very limited to what fish you can put in and another problem with such a small tanks is keeping the water parimeters stable manythanks

Well, I don't think you should have a skimmer on a 10 gallon tank, in most cases because you're right, it'd take up too much space.

That's why I said you'd need to be extra vigilant about water changes instead.

We need to have a "joking smiley face" that's easy to use so everyone (especially noobs) would know when we're joking! Maybe a JOKER smiley face.

Appreciate your comments. I have talked him into keeping that one a freshwater tank and continuing to assist me with the big (44gal) tank.:D Again many thanks. I didn't think it would be right to try a 10 gal as new to this as I am. Love this forum with all your great comments.

My sisters decided after watching me with my tank that they wanted to make a small 10gl tank, they have one very tiny chromis and a very tiny yellow damsel in it with corals :) when the fish get bigger they will just move into my reef :) just stick with one small fish and some corals and it'll be a nice lil setup :)

Back