110 gallon shark safe?

NewToThis

Reefing newb
Are there any species of sharks that can live in a 110 gallon long? I think I read that a marbled cat shark can live in a 100 gallon just fine, can anyone support this claim? Would a 110 gallon be ok for him?

HERE

thanks!

Last edited:
If you are really interested in shark keeping you should PM Sharkie.
I think she's had a couple eggs and she works at an aquarium with the big guys.

I dont think so, not very many people have tanks large enough for a shark. They need a really open tank with little rock, and lots of sand bed area.

Plus many animals are stressed out in a tank they find is growing smaller as they grow.

My LFS has 2 sharks in a 1300 Gallon... I don't know what kind they are, though.

They're shark room is humidity controlled and sealed so the temperature and humidity can't escape.

Some fish are better left in the ocean. Sharks are one of them IMO.

+1 Dont even bother mate, its not something you take on casually, and if you cant care for it, there aren't many places that will take it in. Stick to simples!! ;)

Hey New,
I personally wouldn't ever attempt to keep a shark if you haven't had personal work and hands on experience with them. I kinda break the rules a bit when it comes to sharks since I've worked with them but i'll give ya a basic rundown of the marbles....

You can get a few different species of bamboo cat sharks (which is the family the marble belongs to) as "egg cases"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW5L5lbf1gU]YouTube - Baby Shark[/ame]

They can vary in size from almost ready to hatch to SUPER tiny. Depending on the water temp, species, and season the shark can take anywhere from 9-12 months to hatch (if its super tiny) My current shark (its been in the egg for about 4 months now) (who i've now been able to identify as a brown banded cat shark) was the size of a yarn piece when I brought home his egg case. ANYWAYS- You have to make sure you take SUPER good care of the egg... basically you have to have perfect perams, fish that won't eat it (my niger trigger has taken a liking to trying to eat the egg case), and have it clipped on the side to where it won't smush the case but will allow water to flow through for the shark to breathe. With a shark egg case there is no actual "liquid" other than your tank water.... Sometimes the baby will stop breathing as well (you have to check them out with a light on the back side of the case-DO NOT take it out of the water-EVER. an air bubble will get trapped and kill the shark. If they stop breathing you have to preform "shark CPR" in which you are basically trying to bring it back to life by squeezing the lil guy gently. Thats a HUGE acclimation thing too... it takes anywhere from 6-8 hours to properly acclimate an egg case and even then the shark may not be able to handle the changes. Some eggs just don't do well. Sharks are also SUPER hard to get eating... my first shark took almost 4 weeks to get eating on a regular basis-which is a it scary. Sometimes they will still have a bit of the placenta left when they hatch so they will survive offa that BUT you want your shark to get used to being handled, use to your hand being in the tank, target trained, and able to NOT eat other inhabitants if you do have any in with it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF7iYOZSIag]YouTube - shark #3[/ame]
This is my current shark when I brought him home :) SUPER TINY

Marbles from my personal experience grow REALLY REALLY fast for a small shark and are more aggressive than a banded shark. My marbled was about 8 inches when I got her and in 2 months she had grown to over 15 inches! thats almost DOUBLE. I bought her when she wasn't trained to eat dead things as well-so my tank inhabitants were her expensive dinners. Needless to say she was quickly moved to the aquarium where she now resides in a new home from one of our workers tanks :)

With the tanks you should usually have basically NOTHING in it but the shark. They need LOTS of bottom space that is free of rock and has nice fine sand-otherwise it can and will scratch them (sharks are delicate). i'd say if you wanna keep a shark for its FULL life to ALWAYS at least double what online stores tell you. It says 100? go at least 250-300. make sure its able to comfortably turn around... if a shark can't do that without squishing its body against the tank your tank is too small.

IMHO (and i guess i should listen to my own advice LOL) Sharks belong in the ocean or a highly qualified aquarium where they are able to properly be taken care of, breed, and used to educate others. I've worked with sharks for the past 8 years so I have a lot of hands on experience with them (from the BIGGIES to the lil guys like this) and have had years of training under top aquarists. Part of my schooling and qualifing for one of the trips I hope to go on soon was to sucessfully hatch, get feeding, and raise to at least a yr old shark... which I did! :D ahh! So in 2012 I'll be taking a trip with our research team and 2 other students to either Masa Bay Africa (seal island) or the devils teeth (catalina islands here) to check out some real wide sharkies :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Zx8YTCD1w&NR=1]YouTube - Monterey Bay Aquarium ~ Great White Shark[/ame]

thats one of the biggies i've worked with :)

but if you have any other questions feel free to ask :) i'd rather have someone be super educated about it rather than take a sharks life because of a want and not a need... I too don't need a shark but since I just take part in the hatchin' process and then take em to the aquarium its a lil different.

You could have a small 5-7in shark in your 110 but not for too long.

Back