110 tall?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I'm looking at a 110 tall, whats everyones take on a tall tank? Are you more restricted with what you can keep? Obviously the volume is still there but the length isn't.....opinions?

I have a 110 and love the height. I didn't have room for a long tank because my house just doesn't have enough space, so I went up instead of going long. The 30" height can be a little bit of a pain, but you get used to it pretty quickly. You might want to look at a 150, its 24" wide instead of 18". The 150's that I have seen are really nice because you have a little more room in front to expand. Still, I will never have another tank that isn't at least 30" tall and I am hoping that my next tank will be 36" tall.

With a tall tank like that, it's pretty much a given that you will have to use halides and not T5s, so be prepared to spend a lot more on lights (halides run up to twice as much as equivalent T5s). That would be the main reason why I would avoid tall tanks. That, and you'll have a harder time keeping fish that need a lot of swimming room (like tangs). Tangs will utilize long tanks a lot better than tall tanks.

I have an 80 which is also tall. Other than the fact that it's a pain to clean (because you have to put your whole arm in it all the way) i really like it. I love the open water.

I would choose width any day over height. A few SPS are not light loving, but not many. The deep depths are even a stretch for some LPS with T-5's. The surface area is obviously proportionally smaller with a taller tank versus a standard height or a wide tank, making it the most difficult tank type in which to maintain an adequate level of dissolved oxygen, meaning increased algae and decreased fish capacity. More expensive and harder to aqua scape than a normal depth tank or a wide tank. More difficult to maintain adequate circulation. In general harder to maintain. Advantages: hum, uh, hum, well, never mind.

I dont really see what the big fuss is about with taller tanks. I have a tall tank and its not problematic at all other than when it comes to cleaning it.

Im sure its harder to maintain somewhat, but its not all that bad, really. I would prefer taller because its more natural. Fish in nature are used to open water which is one advantage can i think of that tall tanks have. Im sure tall tanks are not too suitable for tangs but then again, that will depend on the size of the tank. Yes lights will become an issue but nothing halides cant fix. So, assuming someone can afford all the right things, i think taller is more fun to look at. But obviously this is my personal taste.

I dont really see what the big fuss is about with taller tanks. I have a tall tank and its not problematic at all other than when it comes to cleaning it.

Im sure its harder to maintain somewhat, but its not all that bad, really. I would prefer taller because its more natural. Fish in nature are used to open water which is one advantage can i think of that tall tanks have. Im sure tall tanks are not too suitable for tangs but then again, that will depend on the size of the tank. Yes lights will become an issue but nothing halides cant fix. So, assuming someone can afford all the right things, i think taller is more fun to look at. But obviously this is my personal taste.
Most fish that inhabit coral reefs are prey and seldom swim in open water. They mainly stay near their territory which almost always includes a protective hole. In general open spaces are occupied by schooling fish and predators. Reef denotes coral reefs which usually means the fish are fish that are preyed upon are generally the fish kept and therefore large open spaces are actually unnatural. People who mainly keep fish often seem to prefer open spaces, schooling fish, predator fish and the larger fish. To me, anyway, a coral reef tank is a tank principally for coral and other invertebrates with at most a few fish added, but not necessary. For me the reef tank is as the reef, it stops at the top of the reef. Open water, lagoons and such are all different things from reefs.

Imo a tal is like taking a gold fish and putting him in a glass or cup. he doesnt have alot ofroom, but take the same goldfish and same amount of water and dump it in a bowl. he has alot more room. That is my take on Tall tanks

It all depends on what you prefer and are willng to do or put up with to have it. I prefer a healthier more natuarl look reef tank so I choose to buy wider shallower tanks when ever possible, or if I am setting up a fish only or predator tank wher the size of the fish usually require a deeper tank.

Last edited:
Back