112-120 gal acrylic tank needs to be cleaned

Betty Anderson

Reefing newb
Hi everyone. So as the title reads, I have a 112-120 gallon acrylic tank that i need to clean. This tank used to be in a LFS, but was sold to a person who used it for temporary large snake tank. I aquired the tank when I took the snake (it wasn't being cared for properly) rehabilitated it, and found her a new, proper, loving home, with a proper enclosure. I kept the tank for my husband. We are wondering what we can clean it with to make it suitable for marine life again. It's in great shape, except lots of scratches, but we don't mind that. We are not planning to put anything in it for months yet, at least not until we get it cleaned and cycled with the 55gal sump hooked up. Can anyone help me with a good safe cleaner? I clean my reptile tanks with 1/10 bleach to water or 1/3 white vinager to water. However im not sure this will work for this tank. Thank you.for any info.

You can do the bleach or Vinegar.. If you do use the Bleach make sure fill the tank up and let it sit with Some prime in it for a couple days to make sure the Bleach is out and clean. I would do it atleast 2 or 3 times. If you use the vineger i think if you just soak the tank after ones would be fine. as far as i know vineger wont do anything when used as a cleaner as long as its rinsed good.

Back