120 gal startup advice

lockkeeper69

Reefing newb
I have started my 120 gal tank. I have added aragonite sugar size sand the water 35# of base rock and 13# of live rock so far. I am going to add more rock to get to my 120#. I am only seeding it with the 13#. This should work right?

I have had the rock in since last Sunday. i wanted to cycle the tank with the rock. Nothing is happening. Do I not have enough? Or does it take more time? Water and sand has been in and being filtered for about a week and a half.

Water tests as follows:
SG = 1.024
PH = 7.8 - 7.9
Ammonia = <0.25
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Temp = 75 degrees

My PH is low. How do I get it up to where it needs to be 8.2 - 8.4?

As for now I am running a Fluval FX5 canister filter. I know I need to get a protein skimmer but this is it for now. I know I need to maintenence the filter often. I was going to do this once a week. The filter has 3 stages of the foam and then the water filters through charcoal and then through ceramic tubes.

Should I clean the filter now or wait unitl a cycle starts. I would like to clean it as the store i talked to when i got the sand and tank said the i would not have to clean the sand. BAD ADVICE. I had a cloud for a while. When I move sand to add rock so it sits on the glass it clouds up again but clears quicker than before. I must be getting the dust out.

Some good sound advice would be great.

For the sand you can use this website to calculate how much sand you will have/need.
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1..._in_description=1&parent_category=0&x=5&y=14#

To get your tank seeded it will take about two weeks- 1 month for the tank to start to get algae. Your ph should go up too. But if it doesn't try increasing airflow with a powerhead.

I would also take the filters out and put them back in when your tank has started. DO NOT PUT ANY FISH IN UNTIL YOU GET A PROTEIN SKIMMER AND AT LEAST 100 POUNDS OF ROCK! I would suggest that you find a live rock at your store with feather dusters if you don't have any. You can also get uncured rock and have the 13-20# rocks seed that if you are on the cheap side like most of us.

You may not have enough live rock to start a cycle. Or the live rock you bought was already cured so there wasn't enough die off to start a cycle. In either case, you can do as queen recommended and throw a frozen people food shrimp in the tank and let it rot, or you can add some fish food to the tank and let it rot.

You are going to get sick of the maintenance of the cannister I just made the switch to a sump and it was a pain in the ass. I had to drain the tank and I decided to move it while I was setting everything else up.

Back