120 RR Build- need input

time2reef

Reefing newb
I am gathering the supplies for a 120 RR I have in the garage and am looking for some advice. I am planning to build my own stand and canopy. I am fairly ahndy with wood working and all. I was just wondering about making the frame from metal and hanging the front and sides of the stand on it or making the whole thing out of wood. I have a friend who welds for a living so this is not a big deal to have done.

I will make the canopy out of wood and am going low profile since I am using the new Orphek T5/slimlines I just ordered. They will fit and still give me plenty of clearance.

Just wondering what you guys think.

Either way really. You can build it out of 2x lumber or a welded stand. I think if I were going for like a 180 or bigger I'd get a welded stand but strength wise 2x4's are more than adequate for a 120. If you wanted to build it with no centre bracing I'd probably go 2x6 for the top rails. I'll see if I can find the table that shows how much flex a 2x lumber can withstand.

Here's a pic of what I mean, the yellow and red would be 2x6, the rest 2x4. Spend some time picking out the best lumber at home depot. If you have a jointer even better for making straight wood.

148629DIY_Stand_Template.jpg

Don't forget to factor the sump tank size into your design if not going in now thing future. I don't recall how much a gallon of water weighs. :twocents:

Thanks guys. I am going to be looking at some sumps. I live close to PA and they always seem to have some sumps for sale on their public days. I will most likely pick up one of those on one of my trips down there.

Back