• 120G 48x24

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 120G long 60x18

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters

symon_say

Under the sea
Hi

I'm building my first SW tank, and it will be a 120G, but i don't know what to chose, witch tank do you think is best a 120G 48x24 or a 120g lon 60x18?? And please elaborate your answer, that way i can learn more.

Thanks

Definitely go with the longer tank. Many saltwater fish require a lot of swimming room. A 4 foot tank doesn't meet their needs as well as a 5 or 6 foot tank. For example, many tangs should be kept in 5 or 6 foot tanks rather than 4 foot tanks. Having a 4 foot tank will limit the types of fish you can keep more than if the tank was long.

Definitely go with the long, it will allow you to keep tangs as Sarah said, its also easier to reach in and get to the bottom on an 18' tank.

Where is it going? In some cases, a 120 would be great as a cube, too.
A tank that isn't as high will allow more light penetration, allowing you to keep more corals throughout all levels of the tank.

A deep (from front wall to back) will make it a little easier to aquascape.

Thanks to all, the tank will be custom build and i won't use those exact measure, but i use then cause they are standard an most people can give better advise, the real measure of the tank will be 60x22x22 but given that i'll use about 4" of sand to have LS, final height of the tank will be 18".

I want to use a natural system with LR, LS and ATS, for the amount of rock and the size of the ATS what volume of water i use, the brute size or should i take the 4" of sand of the equation??

Eh, to be honest, I think the importance of having exactly the right "amount" of rock per some rule doesn't really hold very true, especially if you're already having a 4" DSB. With an ATS, I'd say you're probably more than good with 80lbs of LR.

But for the ATS calcs, use the total volume of the tank & sump. You can't go wrong with too much for ATS purposes.

Last edited:
I'd go 60 x 27 x 18 instead. That way you'll have more room to work with in the tank, and it'll be easier to reach in and play with stuff.

Your tank deminsions sound fine, close to about 150 I'd say. My only suggestion would be to have a sand bed depth of at least 6" if you want to run DSB. From what I have seen, and researched there are considerable issues with a sand bed depth between 2" and 6". Mainly releasing phosphates and Nitrites. That being said, there are quite a few people running systems that are not "rule of thumb" with no issues, so you may end up being okay.

If it were me, I would not run a DSB in the main tank. Stick with less than 2" of sand, and run a DSB remotely if you want one. That will give your tank more space and allow you to maintain the DSB without risk of crashing your tank. 4" of sand is asking for trouble, IMO.

Your tank deminsions sound fine, close to about 150 I'd say. My only suggestion would be to have a sand bed depth of at least 6" if you want to run DSB. From what I have seen, and researched there are considerable issues with a sand bed depth between 2" and 6". Mainly releasing phosphates and Nitrites. That being said, there are quite a few people running systems that are not "rule of thumb" with no issues, so you may end up being okay.

Those dimensions are for a 125, not a 150.

I think with a good ATS matching his system he wouldn't have problems with a 4" sandbed, especially with a decent CuC. I agree, tho, a remote DSB might be better, and cheaper!

I don't think a tank would look weird like that, a lot of people (like myself) are huge fans of the shallower tanks.

Those dimensions are for a 125, not a 150.

I think with a good ATS matching his system he wouldn't have problems with a 4" sandbed, especially with a decent CuC. I agree, tho, a remote DSB might be better, and cheaper!

I don't think a tank would look weird like that, a lot of people (like myself) are huge fans of the shallower tanks.

Yup, you're right. I was thinking 6' for some reason, which would be a 150.

However, I still would not run a sandbed depth between 2" and 6". Like Sarah said, asking for trouble.

Yeah, Fast, I kwas quick to realize the dimensions because I'm doing really similar ones for my 150!:sfish:

Northstar, it's algae turf scrubber. (see DIY - sticky for Santa Monica's ATS)

I'm still not convinced on the 2-6" argument - maybe we can run an experiment with my new tank, I was planning doing a 4" sand bed!

LMAO, and I am not, and doubt I will ever be sold on an Algae Scrubber. I honestly believe a good skimmer goes a long way on any reef tank.

I think i'm gonna use it that way, a ATS and 6-7" of sand in a compartment in the sump, it'll be a lot cheaper this way. this will allow me to use a 18" height tank, that will give me a little less water, but have to spend a little less, cause this is a really expensive hobby.

Thanks guys, feeling kind of stupid

I'm not sold on the algae srcrubber idea either. And from what I've read, for large tanks you need a pretty large screen, I dont think I could fit one under my stand. I run a Lifereef skimmer and I couldnt be happier

You can always put 2 screens instead of one, for your tank you can use 2 10"x10" screen depending on the sump. But you better ask in the DIY forum, cause i'm just starting to learn about this.

Back