125 reef build...NOT The New Yankee Workshop

Man I've got alot to learn. There's a tank on a local site, that I look at all the time and say to myself, "That's a perfect tank"...You just crushed that one. Fantastic tank.

In my never ending quest for less work, I picked this up off Ebay for $55 shipped to my door. It's a dual channel infusion pump so I can set different rates for dosing calcium and alk. I'll get more pics of it in action when I set it up. My cousin is a nurse and she's getting me the tubing and will show me how to operate it.

dosing-pump_5-10.jpg

Here are some more things CCapt is going to steal from the hospital. The Clown isn't breathing! I need some Calcium stat!! Clear!!!

ii_defibrillator.gif

Jeez Capt..No update since May?..What gives Mr?...You know it's 2011 now?...I'd love to see some of your SPS.

He's busy bein' a grampa ;) As my daughter says "I'm more important!" No doubt the grandbaby got him hook, line, and sinker!

Well this is my build thread and I haven't really done anything else to the system. ;) I did add a bio-pellet reactor, but it's basically just a clear RO unit filter cansiter and everyone knows what that looks like.

The last pics I posted of my tank are in Tank Showcase section. The last pics I posted were in August and nothing really has changed since then.
https://www.livingreefs.com/new-125-pics-t12644p22.html

I haven't done much of anything to the setup in quite some time...until now. Since LED's seem to have become the next best thing in lighting, I decided to give them a try. I wasn't 100% sure I would like them so I only bought 2 units to try as opposed to the 3 MH's I had been running. My plan was to keep the center MH and use the LED's on each end.

There are seperate power cords and switches for the blue and white.
LED-top_9-14-11.jpg

The unit has 30 white LED's and 25 blue LED's. They are 3w LED's running at 2w. Total power consumption, including the fans is 120w.
LED-opened_9-14-11.jpg

Only blue on.
LED-blue_9-14-11.jpg

Only white on.
LED-white_9-14-11.jpg

All on.
LED-all_9-14-11.jpg

I hung them at about 6" above the water line.
LED-MH-LED-on_9-18-11.jpg

FTS
fts_9-18-11.jpg

I did some PAR measurements and I am impressed. They are about equal to 175w Iwasaki 15k bulbs and 250w Radiums. They beat 250w XM 20k bulbs by quite a bit. I will be ordering the 3rd unit soon.

Larry, they look great, I'll be interested in seeing if you see any differences with coral coloration and growth with the new LEDs. Which brand did you end up getting?

You should come help me build a stand (you build me watch drinking beer) :mrgreen: Incredible setup. Makes me want to sell my townhouse and buy a bigger house with a basement

Back