12ft, 800 gallon build

sankhamg

Reefing newb
I'm planing on building a 12x3x3ft reef tank (800Gallon). I'm quite not sure of the glass thickness to use. My first choice was to go for acrylic but it's not possible because I cannot buy acrylic sheets which is thicker than 15mm in my country. So what thickness would be optimum to support the weight?

1" thick (25 mm, but 30 mm would do great) TEMPERED. That would be too much weight and pressure for annealed glass and it could pop it. I would get 30 mm just to be safe.

I think I saw somewhere that plywood costs more due to needing sealed. And you'd have to use 1" thick and brace with 2x4s. So like built-in stand kinda design. Plywood doesn't hold weight well.

I think I saw somewhere that plywood costs more due to needing sealed. And you'd have to use 1" thick and brace with 2x4s. So like built-in stand kinda design. Plywood doesn't hold weight well.

Thanks guys! Sorry for late reply I was stuck in work for sometime. Anyways I started the build. I'm using 25mm tempered for the display tank. Double glass on bottom. Using stainless steel frame all around the tank with canopy made in same with rubber padding for the areas which it comes in contact with the glass.
The sump is 8x2.5x2ft. using 10mm tempered.

Back