130 Rebuild

JohnB

Reefing newb
I am getting a little further with the parts list, etc, for the 130. Here is what I have so far and I will be updating it as I go.

Parts List So Far:
130 Reef Ready Tank
36" Stand and 8" Hood
Blueline 120w LEDs x2
36" Trigger Clear Sump/fuge
Reef Mud
Reef Octopus NWB200 Protein Skimmer
Macro grow light
ReefKeeper PLUS System
Misc Heater
MAG 12 return pump

150# premium Fiji Live Rock

Fiji pink sand

I will be doing a Auto Top Off system as well as thinking about a GFO/Carbon Reactors.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks,
JohnB

I am open to suggestions. The tank is 6'x18"x2'. I was thinking of 4 powerheads, two on the sides and two on the back in a wave maker. The ReefKeeper has a wave function.

2x 1050's 2x 1400's (koralia)? maybe if you have the money a couple mp10/40's? all of those work with wavemakers. both good brands.

I was looking at the Koralia's. I don't have the pockets for the Mp10/40's yet. Maybe later for an upgrade. I didn't know what size to get, but those look like good ones.

Thanks!

not sure how you would set them up but 2x of ea of those would turn your tank over about 37x an hour. You may want to do more than that, but im not sure where, and what deadspots you would have and you dont always want to have the highest gph pump you cna find to increase it. Maybe another 1050 or something etc...

i agree with Cathic the 4 powerheads should be enough GPH for the tank but i would get one more 1400 to blast off the front of the tank at a slight angle to get a really good flow. but i would also recomend a wavemaker. i have links if you want them.

If this was my build, I wouldnt buy all live rock or any of the mud stuff. The mud stuff hasnt really been shown to help anything and you have to replace it every 6 months or so. I would also consider looking into making your own sump. Its easy and much cheaper.

Using the money you save with that stuff, I would get some better LEDs (what you have sounds like a chinese knockoff brand, plus you are going to need 3 for a 6ft tank) or save it for the fun stuff like corals and fish.

If this was my build, I wouldnt buy all live rock or any of the mud stuff. The mud stuff hasnt really been shown to help anything and you have to replace it every 6 months or so. I would also consider looking into making your own sump. Its easy and much cheaper.

Using the money you save with that stuff, I would get some better LEDs (what you have sounds like a chinese knockoff brand, plus you are going to need 3 for a 6ft tank) or save it for the fun stuff like corals and fish.

Are you suggesting no live rock or just less? I have heard the same about the mud, but there are also others that swear by it.

Just less. You can buy mostly dry rock (much cheaper!) and just a few pounds of live rock and by the time you go through the cycle all the rock will be live.

i agree with Cathic the 4 powerheads should be enough GPH for the tank but i would get one more 1400 to blast off the front of the tank at a slight angle to get a really good flow. but i would also recomend a wavemaker. i have links if you want them.

Links are always welcome... :bowdown:

I have been told to only use a Koralia wavemaker with the Koralia's. Is this true? Can I use the wave function in the ReefKeeper?

well i have used my ocean pulce wave maker (Quadra) in my 150 gallon plus i also have a maxi jet 1200 that runs 24 7. but everything works fine. and on top of that they have powerheads that only work with the Koralia wavemaker. and i think you can only use the powerheads if they work with the wave maker. i would just go for the ocean pulce.
here is the link.
Ocean Pulse Wave Makers, Aquarium Wavemakers | PetSolutions
I know about not having pockets deep enough for the top of the line stuff. I make my LED's and my own sumps. i aslo build stands and hoods so i dont pay 2 or 3k for one someone built out of partical borad and glue. lol.

You need to be careful with the Koralia power heads, I dont thin they are made to turn on and off very frequently and doing so will cause they to wear out earlier or run in reverse. They may have fixed this with the newer versions, but I would research this before you purchase a wave maker.

not that i have hurd. But i am going to be taking then out to get the calcium off it today so there going to soak today and i put in my 4 Maxi jets 1200 for the next few days.

Are the Koralia Evolution pumps safe on wavemakers and timers?

Yes. The Koralia Evolutions are designed for use on wavemakers.

This is straight from Hydor's website from their FAQ section. Also in the FAQ Section about them running in reverse.

Why is my Koralia Evolution running in reverse?

There are several possible causes of reversal in the Koralia Evolution.

1. The bushing that sits inside the black wing of the impeller may have slipped down. If this has occured, simply push the bushing back into place. You can also contact Hydor USA Customer Service and request an upgraded bushing that snaps into place, preventing slippage.
  2. The front cover maybe damaged. If your cover is damaged, you can contact Hydor USA Customer Service and request a new cover.
  3. The rubber bumper on the inside of the front cover maybe missing or damaged. Hydor USA Customer Service can supply you with replacement parts.
If you cannot diagnose the cause on your own, feel free to contact Hydor USA Customer Service for assistance.

No problem, I did research on their site when I was trying to order some replacement impellers and remembered reading it, so I thought it might help to throw it out there. Not sure if people still report problems with running them on wavemakers etc just wanted to post what the manufacturer had to say.

This also might be information that is hanging around from the older, and out of production, 1-4 powerheads. Once people get an opinion and/or hear something, it is hard to change their minds. New equipment comes on the market and it gets the same reputation as the previous generation.

Thanks Cathic for the reference.

Back