140 gallon on the second floor?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
I am moving into a new home that was built in the mid 1970's. The floor on the second level is supported by 2x10 joist. On newer homes they build the second level out of particle board which is a lot weaker. The second level floor feels really solid with no flex. Was wondering if it would be safe to place the tank up stairs along the back wall? There is a brick wall on the outside but don't think the bricks would support anything? A buddy of mine has a 240 gallon upstairs in a new home which are not made as stout as older homes. I am new to tanks being upstairs so any help would be appreciated. :sfish:

Your right about older homes,they were built sooo much better.Growing up we lived in a home from the 50's.I had a king sized water bed in my room(2nd floor).I think you'll have no problem with putting it up there,especially if your putting it on an outside wall.

Placing the tank upstairs will not be a problem...the weight of the tank is evenly distributed. Also, the flooring is more secure along the outside walls of the building, so it should hold up.

Was thinking about ripping the wall out down stairs to inspect and place alot more 2x4s in the wall for extra security since I use to do sheetrock and maybe add some support to floor as well. I haven't decided yet.

Was thinking about ripping the wall out down stairs to inspect and place alot more 2x4s in the wall for extra security since I use to do sheetrock and maybe add some support to floor as well. I haven't decided yet.

It won't hurt anything to look behind the walls and see exactly what kind of support is there.

Just turn the tank so that it set across the floor joists,and you wont have any problems.

yeah I was planning on getting a stud finder and going downstairs and scan the roof to see how many joist it would be sitting ontop of. Luckily I read that most houses are built where the joist are ran from front to back, and since my tank will be along the back wall, it should have probably 4 joist up under it.

Teh joist SHOULD be on 16" centers.So I think you'll be fine and shouldnt even have to worry about it.

SHOULD is right!!.My house is 5 years old and i have some at 16 ,some 24,and some 18:frustrat:,plus most studfinders are junk,I think my house was built by rodeo clowns:mrgreen:Anyway i think you'll be fine

SHOULD is right!!.My house is 5 years old and i have some at 16 ,some 24,and some 18:frustrat:,plus most studfinders are junk,I think my house was built by rodeo clowns:mrgreen:Anyway i think you'll be fine

I remember trying to install the heat & air on a house that was built like that :shock:
They wanted the duct inside the joists,but 15 wide duct wont fit in a 13" space:grumble:

I know my house was stick built,so i'm thinking one day they felt like flying thru some walls really quick,and another day the boss may have been on site:lol:

Just take a hammer and tap on the floor with it.You'll be able to tell the difference in the sound when you tap on top of a floor joist.It'll sound more solid.That will give you a good idea of where their at.But I honestly dont think you've got anything to worry about.

Just take a hammer and tap on the floor with it.You'll be able to tell the difference in the sound when you tap on top of a floor joist.It'll sound more solid.That will give you a good idea of where their at.But I honestly dont think you've got anything to worry about.
thats a GOOD ideal :^:

I would make sure you are perpendicular to those joists. Don't guess. Your tank could end up sitting on just two joists. That would put something like 1500 lbs on them and they will sag as you fill the tank.

I would make sure you are perpendicular to those joists. Don't guess. Your tank could end up sitting on just two joists. That would put something like 1500 lbs on them and they will sag as you fill the tank.
With the tank sitting flush against the back wall I wouldn't think it would sag. I will double check the joist before I fill the tank up just to be on the safe side. If the house wasn't built in a hurry and everything was built by spec, the joist should be 16" a part meaning the tank would sit on atleast 3 joist no matter what(60" long tank). This tank is going up stairs in the masterbedroom, the master bathroom has a large jacuzzi tub with jets. This tub is probably atleast 100 gallon by looking at it. Could probably fit 2 adults in it easily. So im thinking when they built they house if they were worried about weight upstairs then they wouldn't have installed such a large jacuzzi in this bathroom. Luckily the tank won't be sitting on the same joist as the jacuzzi but it will probably be 8-10 joist over.

Last edited:
They would most likely beef up the framing in the tub area and the rest of the room will be standard. Mine run parallel to the tank, so I have just two. When I first filled it, one of the joists sagged at only 1/3 of the way full. It was leaning forward enough to see an uneven water level.

Last edited:
They would most likely beef up the framing in the tub area and the rest of the room will be standard. Mine run parallel to the tank, so I have just two. When I first filled it, one of the joists sagged at only 1/3 of the way full. It was leaning forward enough to see an uneven water level.

So your joist weren't running from front to back?

Back