150 gallon reef filtration questions

M3AN ONE

Reefing newb
Just picked up a 150 gallon predrilled reef tank I intend to run a sand less reef setup. It came with a 20 gallon sump with a turbo flow 1000 external skimmer. The skimmer is rated for up to 250 gallons so I do not think I need to upgrade it but as for the sump I plan on getting a eshopps r3 35 gallon sump.

The questions is there any way I can connect 2 sumps and is there a company that sells a sump with a refuge chamber that is larger than 36inches long

There are countless ways to do it. If you have the space you can have a separate fuge above the sump, use a smaller return pump to feed it water from the fuge and a overflow to return the water to the sump. Or you can split the overflow line to feed the sump and the fuge, with a overflow then going from the fuge to the sump. That way you only need one pump...Its all a matter of how much space you have. To be honest a included sump/fuge works great thats what I have. Just the idea of adding extra gallons to the system has a lot of merit though.

Back