150 gallon reef stocking options

M3AN ONE

Reefing newb
I wanted to get some opinions on my stocking options for my future 150 gallon reef. I plan on adding these fish over about a 18 month timeline.
1 Golden spotted rabbit fish
1 Crosshatch trigger
1 Blue throat trigger
1 Powder brown tang
1 Blonde naso tang
1 Harlequin tusk Australian
1 Golden moray eel
1 Green mandarin
1 pair of leopard wrasses
1 pair of black and white clown fish
1 blue dot jawfish

To start off, a lot of those fish are predators. And at least three of them won't think twice about eating smaller fish (like the mandarin...which really doesn't fit with the rest of the list). The smaller fishes will end up being expensive meals. The eel alone will effectively eat anything it can fit in its mouth.

Second, that is a very large bioload even for a 150 gallon tank. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it will certainly require diligent maintenance and they will produce a lot of waste.

Third, more than three of those fish require a larger tank (probably....I meant I know 180 is what is listed for at least three of them on LA but that doesn't mean they can't be successful in a 150...it's just less likely when you add in that there's so many other active swimmers and aggressive fish).

Not a bad list but I think it would be end up being pretty difficult to have all these aggressive fish in the same tank successfully. Good luck.

Yeah, I can see the mandarin, wrasses, clowns and jawfish becoming lunch very quickly. :(

I think you need to decide if you want to go with a predator/aggressive tank, or a peaceful/community tank.

I was going to be introducing the more agressive fish last and getting some fairly big wrasses maybe 4-6 inches but guess I will have to opt out of the blue dot and mandarin...unless I keep these fish well fed.:D

Last edited:
Back