?180 gal Tank setup?

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
we are thinking of making the tank a room divider so we are able to see front,back,and 1 side of the tank. But not sure on how to go about doing so. Has anyone here seen it done before and if so anyone know how to go about setting it up this way?
Thank you
Rose

Pretty easy. You have the overflow put into one end and instead of have your closed loop outputs into the backwall you have a couple of them in the wall and the rest on them run through the bottom

I'll go check it out, I do agree RyanG. I like livingreefs better everyone here is very nice and always willing to help out.

well I just was informed I can't drill holes in the 55 gal which I was planning on using for a sump, any suggestions? Also not sure weather to go with glass tank for the 180 or acrylic, don't know which would be a better tank.

Any reason why a glass tank? My husband is thinking he wants to build an acrylic tank because it looks better lasts longer and he's been looking at DIY posts, so he thinks he can build it :0(

you can build a glass tank just as easy if not easier just use silicone to hold the seams together and make a wood frame instead of the plastic ones. take it from me i had an acrylic tank and the top of it cracked from the heat of my lights. and they scrach super easy just one peice of sand on the cleaning pad and you have a scratch that goes all the way across the tank. and they get get worse and worse from there.

Go with glass.
Acrylic requires a special type of glue that actually melts the pieces together.So its got the be right the first time.With glass,if its not just the way you want it,you can just cut the silicone bead and redo it.

I Just want to thank everyone, don't think we are nuts but my Chris (husband) came up with another idea here it is at first I was thinking no way but after a while I kinda started liking the idea but have never seen it done. ok here it goes it would fill up the dead space we have along the wall. it would end up being like 187 gal (10 ft long) 120x20x18. It would be short, long enough, and wide enough. Tell ya the truth he keeps throwing ideas at me and I can see this is going to take 4 ever to ever get a tank but I guess if its going to be a big tank I can wait.(Oh Biff and Yote the guy with the 180 well it didn't happen, but that's ok.) thanks Rose

i've seen a few in our reef central club called slash(saint louis area saltwater hobbyist) who used tanks as room divider looked pretty cool to. you could make a canopy to go from top of tank to ceiling and you would have a solid divider only seeing through tank.

Acrylic doesn't look better than glass, even grains of sand touching it will scratch it. And aquascaping is tough with acrylic because the live rock ruins the acrylic. For reef tanks, glass is definitely the way to go.

Back