180 gallon

spw4646

Reefing newb
i currently have a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. i just found an awesome deal on a 180 gallon aquarium with stand and canopy. the guy said it has 2, 1" holes drilled in the bottom that would need plugged if i dont want a reef tank. how or what do i need for filtering on an aquarium like this? thanks in advance for any advice.

All that means is that it has been drilled to run a sump. So you either need to set a sump up (you could use your existing tank for this) or you will need to plug the holes if you do not want to run a sump system

What type of tank are you trying to setup? The holes are drain and return holes for when you want to utilize a wet/dry or sump under the tank. With a saltwater tank, the rock and sand will be your primary filtration tho. Welcome to the site also.

thanks for the replies. i would like to do a reef aquarium like i have, just in alot larger scale. he told me the holes are for a sump, im not sure how to build/hook one up.

When someone says "sump" they're barely scratching the surface of a something that's extremely beneficial to our aquariums. Here: sump designs - Google Search. Hopefully that'll give you some kind of idea of what you can do. It's simply placing another body of water underneath your display tank to act as a compartment for filtration, etc.

thanks again. ive been printing all kinds of pictures and designs for sumps off google. seems pretty simple but how do i know what pump size to use and what size aquarium for the sump?

Ideally you want the largest size tank you can fit under your stand. More water volume = more stable water conditions. The size of the return pump is determined on thenturnover rate, which you want your tank to turnover atleast 6 times per hour. So look for a pump rated to atleast 1100GPH. Other people may have other opinions.

Back