18W vs. 36W

simplystephanie

Reefing newb
the daylight in biocube just died :(

so I was looking online for new lights and ran across an 18 watt and a 36 watt... is there a huge difference?

also, would it be better to stick with the 18 watt for my 8 gallon tank, or upgrade to a 36?
:^:

just go to a local fish store? you being in southern california there are lots of places..your shrooms might wither away with no light for so long.. its not sunny every day on the reef. but few weeks is long period with no light.

just go to a local fish store? you being in southern california there are lots of places..your shrooms might wither away with no light for so long.. its not sunny every day on the reef. but few weeks is long period with no light.

I've called half a dozen fish stores around the area and not too many of them carry oceanic products... most of them order off of Fosters and Smith (which have the back orders) But one store has a 36 watt available

I would also get the 18w

I looked up on the Drs web site and it says that it is an 18w staight pin.
Any brand would work. It doesnt have to be Oceanics.

I am not sure if the 36w would fit. It would be twice the size.
Also not sure if the ballast would be able to drive it.

Brian

I would also get the 18w

I looked up on the Drs web site and it says that it is an 18w staight pin.
Any brand would work. It doesnt have to be Oceanics.

I am not sure if the 36w would fit. It would be twice the size.
Also not sure if the ballast would be able to drive it.

Brian

so just as long as it's "DAYLIGHT 10,000K - 12k 18W STRAIGHT PIN LINEAR"... I'm good to go?

You should be fine without light for a few days. For me, I would get a cheap home depot light holder with reflector ($7) with one of those regular spiral florescent light that's has 10,000K color for like $5. You can always use that kind of light holder else where, or make an algae scrubber just for fun. :)

Back