1st fish and snails

dolphins8426

Reefing newb
Finally got all my levels right for my tank and got 2 clowns 6 snails and 6 hermit crabs... Woo Who.... Ill post some pictures as soon as i can find my digital camera. Man these clowns look so bright orange and healthy... Nothing like owning saltwater fish. They are so cool. Patience will pay off and it finally did.

fish005.JPG

man they are fun to watch. they are funny little fish. now what should I add for my clean up crew. I add 6 little blue hermit and 6 turbo snails yesterday with my clowns. hermits are all over the place eating sand and all up in the rocks. its fun to watch then work. so what's next in everyone opinion towards my clean up crew and how long should I wait before I add anymore clean up a week or so.

I would get some nassarius snails and some astraea snails. The nassarius snails will dig in the sand and keep your substrate clean and the astraea snails will keep the glass clean. I'd start with around 10 of each and then see how your tank looks.

when would it be safe to add more snails? I add 6 turbo yesterday along with 2 clowns. maybe this weekend? what should I add like 10 and then the other 10 a week after that or can you add them safely all at once?

This weekend should be fine for more snails. I would do what you said -- add 10 or so at a time until you get enough to keep the tank clean. If you add them all at once, they will eat all the food then starve to death.

Congrats on the clowns,very healthy looking.

Let your algae be your guide.Get a small amount of snails and if they are not keeping up then add more.I do feel six turbo snails is a bit much for a 55g.Like Biff mentioned,some nassarius to clean the bed and some film algae eaters like Astreas,Trochus, or Nerite snails should be good.

Back