1st Water Change - Couple quick questions...

jupiler

Reefing newb
Hey everyone!!

I'm about to do my first water change after cycling my tank. I have two quick questions...

1 - When I am taking water OUT of the tank, do I want to take it off the top of the tank so I don't disturb the live sand? or should I be "cleaning" the sand?

2 - Is it ok to dump this salt water down my drains at home? I've heard this salt water is pretty corosive, I don't want to have to replace all of my pipes down the road. Also, is this stuff bad for my yard if I were to dump it on the grass?

The salt water will kill your grass over time. Just look at the grass along the road after a long winter of putting salt on the roads. Same thing. I just dump it down the toilet. There is enough fresh water going down there everytime I flush to dilute the salt water so it wont be a problem

Brian

I remove the water from the top of the tank. I don't disturb my sandbed. If you don't have them already, you should get some cleaner crew that will take care of the sand for you. Nassarius snails are excellent.

I pour the water down the sink. But last weekend my boyfriend took apart my garbage disposal (it was clogged) and all the metal parts were totally corroded. He told me to quit pouring saltwater down the drain, it was ruining the disposal. Blah blah blah :).

if you house was built in the last century, then it would more than likely have pvc drains. saltwater is supposedly not good a septic system. the saltwater kills the bacteria that makes a septic tank work. but, I do it anyway. I don't figure that 10 gallons every two weeks is enough to hurt a 1,000 gallon septic tank.

biff, I will have to remember that. I pour my water down the side of the sink the garbage disposal is on too.

I keep my old saltwater in a couple of drums.The when I go to look around my hunting lease,I pour it on an old stump in the area I'm wanting to hunt.It makes a great salt lick.

I dump my old water right onto the lawn, complete with whatever hair algae I sucked off the rear glass. Actually, the grass is slightly greener where I make my dump, but I don't think the water actually does anything to help/hurt.

Back