1st water change with inhabitants

bk6662

Reefing newb
Hi all,

Even though nitrates were <5, I went ahead and did my 1st change since adding cleanup crew 2 weeks ago. Had the new water heated, circulating, made sure salinity and temp matched the display tank. I noticed the following:

- Nessarus (sp?) snails came out to investigate. Pretty cool. Then they went back in hiding.
- Other snails are fine.
- My concern: hermits are acting strange. One has barely moved in the past 12 hours. One stayed in his shell about 6 hours, now I don't see him. Two others are on the rocks, barely moving. The rest (have 8 total) are hidden. Normally they're all really active. Anything I could have done wrong? Or is this normal after a water change? By the way it was about a 25% change.

My wife is anxious for me to add a fish. But I don't want to take a chance, if there's something else going on here....

Thanks!
BK

Last edited:
Congrats on your first water change, sometimes crabs do that, allow them to get used to the new tank parameters.

I've noticed that when I do water changes the increase in iodine levels cause a lot of my crabs/shrimp to molt. That could be what's happening.

Back