2 cats and many hrs later.....

KatiB

Reefing newb
Saturday we went gaming for the day. Left about 8 in the morning, got home at 10pm. Sometime after we left, the 2 cats who insist on fighting apparently knocked the plug for the tank out of the wall. (It is way behind the BF's desk and hard to get to, but the spot the one older cat likes to hide when her and one of the other 2 are "having words")

Of course this was the first hot day of the season. So the tank was 86 when we got home. (10 pm mind you - who knows how hot it got during the day) Everything that crawls or swims was at the top of the tank gasping. Including all the pods!! All the corals were either drooped or closed. It was a mess.

I opened windows....got fans blowing on the tank....opened the lid. By midnight, things were moving.

Sunday morning everything was still iffy. Got the window units in, house is cool now. (Was staying 78 til the heat hit) Xenias are 90% back to pulsing. Stars peek out but still hide a lot. Brain coral is open but closes up if you look at it too hard. The Zoas are open and eating. Fish are all great. Snails and crabs recovered within a few hrs....

Params are good. Nothing died that I can tell.....

Anyone want a few cats!?!

LOL I do love my 3 kitties. but I wanted to kill them Sat night!! Tank is still in recovery mode, but doing a lot better. At least it doesn't look totally dead now. :P

I lost almost everything a year ago when a heater stuck in the on position all day. My tank was at 95*
It was very sad to see my corals literally melt.

Yes I imagine!! I have a few sections of Xenia that are no longer drooping, but aren't open. I know they are the "weed" of the tank, but I like them. Have the rock sitting on a little frag shelf, so I have like a Xenia shelf. It looks cool.....Unless it is hot LOL

Those cats would have been nailed to the barn wall.:D

Glad you got things back under control before everything died.

Those cats would have been nailed to the barn wall.:D

Glad you got things back under control before everything died.

haha Me too!! And if I had a barn, they may have been in serious trouble!! lol

Things are poking out more this evening....so seeing bits of progress each day.

You either have a pair of mountain lions in your house or your electrical outlet is old and loose. I'd say change the electrical outlet, a cat fight shouldn't be able to pull a plug out of an electrical outlet. Electrical outlets are cheap, youcan buy them at home depot for less than a $1. They're also easy to change.

Lucky it wasn't Grandpa on a respirator.

You either have a pair of mountain lions in your house or your electrical outlet is old and loose. I'd say change the electrical outlet, a cat fight shouldn't be able to pull a plug out of an electrical outlet. Electrical outlets are cheap, youcan buy them at home depot for less than a $1. They're also easy to change.

Lucky it wasn't Grandpa on a respirator.

Yes they are easy, and this one is tight. Not sure how she managed it, but we already got it fixed where she can't get to it anymore. And it is amazing how much damage a panicked cat can do. :D

Gramps breathes fine on his own. :)

Back